Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
When you confront an ?interesting? weather situation and decide that you are going to ?Go for it? (rather than retreat), two things can happen. One is that you find out that you make it through, in which case you decide that you made a good choice. The other is that you DON?T make it through (hopefully, you get turned back, hopefully you get to live to learn and try again another day?worst case, you become a statistic, and WE all learn from you to live another day!) and ? assuming that you are alive to consider the issue ? you chalk it up to a bad decision and hopefully learn to choose more wisely in the future. That pretty much sums up weather decisions ? right? Get through ? good choice; don?t make it ? bad choice.

Well, that?s how a lot of pilots seem to behave, and obviously I wouldn?t be writing about it if I didn?t think that there was more to it. The truth of the matter is that the Outcome of a weather decision does not necessarily reflect on the Correctness of that decision. Sometime you use your knowledge and skill to influence the outcome ? and sometimes, you just get lucky.

All too often, I listen to pilots weaving tails of weather and how they just got in before a squall line crossed the field, or made it through a gap just before a line closed up and formed a solid wall of thunderstorms. These things happen, and in fact have happened to me. But past success has nothing to do with future outcomes ? we need to treat every situation as new, and on its own. It?s one thing to decide to shoot a gap because you have been watching the rate at which a line closes up and determined that you have sufficient time (and margin) to make it through in a particular situation. It is another thing to decide that ?since I made it through the last time, I can make it through again!? This sort of logic just doesn?t follow. Remember that the weather has no idea that you are there, and the decisions that you make does not influence it in the least. One of my favorite sayings is ?the weather is what the weather is ? not what we want it to be?. Dispassionate analysis of each particular weather situation is what will make you a better weather pilot ? not a record of success ? unless you know that your success is based on experience and judgment, and not luck.

?So?experience and judgment ? how the heck do I learn that?? You ask. Well, by watching the weather, of course! ?But, if I don?t know enough to be in the weather, how am I supposed to learn enough to be in the weather?!? Ahh?.now there is a question we can answer! I have a group of crackerjack weather guys where I work, and they judge the launch and landing weather for a very fragile aerospace vehicle ? the Space Shuttle. The weather parameters for the bird are very strict, and forecasts have to be made an hour and a half into the future when looking at landing conditions. But they only get to do this a few times a year ? right? Wrong! In fact, they do a forecast for Florida and California almost every day ? and then they watch how well the actual conditions match the forecast conditions. They learn what their results are without risking a bit of skin ? they ?play the game? without having to take the chance. They keep careful records of what happens ? not just if they were right or wrong, but by how much ? and most importantly, why they were right or wrong. And they put that learning to work the next time around. The weather is frequently bad ? but their ability to forecast it is as good as it gets ? because they practice all the time. Luck is not a factor if ?the game? has a science behind it ? it?s not a gamble, but an educated decision.

Any reason why we can?t do the same thing? None that I can think of! As long as you have reliable observations of actual conditions, and access to a variety of weather data, you can become your own forecaster ? with the help of TAF?s and a variety of other professional forecasts of course. Everyone that claims to be a pilot can be an expert on their local weather ? and that weather doesn?t have to be good for you to be good at calling it. Remember that weather is just weather to the atmosphere ? it doesn?t know that you want to go flying, and doesn?t care. So watch it, keep track of it, make your calls, and see what you get. You?ll be surprised at how quickly you get good at calling it correctly. You don?t have to burn any Avgas, it won?t cost you a penny in maintenance ? heck, you might only have a completed tail kit and be surrounded by half-deburred wing ribs. You can still become an expert at the weather ? all it takes is a little practice.

And that ?Luck? thing? Leave it for Vegas! ?I got lucky? are words that begin an ?I Learned About Flying From That? article?.

Paul

Geez Paul,

You really know how to slide the bamboo under the fingernails don't you???

If the shoe fits wear it....

Well, I have a confession to make... I like fighting with the weather..... It is my dark side.... I also like to win the fight...... Scud, thunderstorms and ice..... I love the challenge of completing the mission inspite of the weather... It goes back to my freight hauling days.... I was really good at it in my freight hound days, but it almost killed me a couple times.... Most of the time, with the knowledge and experience and now, great in-cockpit information terrible weather can be safely navigated..... But it is still a trap and I am succeptible.

Now I don't have to go, but I still want to go....

Just this week I was trying to get to Colorado Springs in a P-51 VFR only.... I had the XM all tuned up, there were TRWs all over eastern CO and I had two routes figured out. At the last minute I picked the north one and when I got to the line, there was nothing convective but a wall of pretty heavy rain that would have stripped the paint off the prop and it would have been terrible visibility..... I gave up and turned back, the next morning I woke up to very low ceilings in Eastern CO and so I missed flying over the Academy graduation..... Major bummer.... The problem is, that if it had been my own airplane instead of someone else's, I might have done it....

I am better than I used to be, but it is a struggle to do the right thing.....

Here is what I have learned.... There is cold beer and a hotel room in every town you fly over. And I will make at least one new friend before leave. And there will be another Academy graduation/Airshow/Family picnic/you fill in the blank, next year.......

But it sure is hard to turn around......

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Excellent

Excellent as always Paul. Weather is the one great variable, we can't control it, and we can't learn enough about it. As an active flight instructor I have endevored to become a weather guru. There are several excellent courses put together by a former NWS forcaster who is also a CFII. He set out to educate pilots on the weather, not just the basics either, really in depth stuff. I have taken several of his courses and they are excellent. Ever want to learn how to read a skew T log P diagram? Yep even took that one. It is an excellent source to understand IFR conditions and what to really expect in the clouds, be able to predict cloud tops, icing conditions, etc. These reports all come from the actual soundings from the weather balloons launched daily and the information is out there for free, just got to get the knowledge and use it.
Again, nice write up Paul!

By the way, if anyone would like information about the courses, here is the link to his website.
He has DVD courses or will do live training, course that one's a little pricey:)

http://chesavtraining.com/

and the direct link to his weather classes

http://avwxworkshops.com/index.php

Last edited:
Just this week I was trying to get to Colorado Springs in a P-51 VFR only.... I had the XM all tuned up, there were TRWs all over eastern CO and I had two routes figured out. At the last minute I picked the north one and when I got to the line, there was nothing convective but a wall of pretty heavy rain that would have stripped the paint off the prop and it would have been terrible visibility..... I gave up and turned back, the next morning I woke up to very low ceilings in Eastern CO and so I missed flying over the Academy graduation..... Major bummer.... The problem is, that if it had been my own airplane instead of someone else's, I might have done it....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Hey Doug,

Were you flying "Miss America"? The Sky Raider crew thought she might make a fly by at our Fly-in at KWWR but it didn't happen. They mentioned she'd just left OKC and might do a pass. I thought it was probably weather related, when she didn't show as there were storms to the West. Sweet & Lovely was there and made some nice passes. We sure appreciate you guys, and understand when you can't make it!

Good courses?

This is one area where I just can't seem to "get it". I even bought the "Weather book for Dummies" but I guess I am dumber than that! The weather maps still just confuse me.

Does anyone know of any good interactive online courses that would teach the art of weather forecasting? OOPS, didnt see the links above

Last edited:
Hey Doug,

Were you flying "Miss America"? The Sky Raider crew thought she might make a fly by at our Fly-in at KWWR but it didn't happen. They mentioned she'd just left OKC and might do a pass. I thought it was probably weather related, when she didn't show as there were storms to the West. Sweet & Lovely was there and made some nice passes. We sure appreciate you guys, and understand when you can't make it!

No, I was flying "Boomer" from N. Dakota.....

Tailwinds,
DougR

This is one area where I just can't seem to "get it"...Does anyone know of any good interactive online courses that would teach the art of weather forecasting?
You really can't learn very much of it from books. Flying it (with an out) is about as interactive as it gets and you learn a lot quickly.

Local Knowledge from Experience

You really can't learn very much of it from books. Flying it (with an out) is about as interactive as it gets and you learn a lot quickly.

I agree with Larry that it is very hard to learn weather from books. I agree with hos suggestion of "getting out there and trying it"...but when you can't, you can still learn by watching ACTUAL weather in progress - we have so many more tools available with the Internet these days that you can watch just about anywhere and see what happens.

For instance, I can tell you that in the Texas Hill Country, the forecasts in the winter are generally for low clouds and ceilings rising to MVFR by 1000, and VFR by 1100 or Noon. Occasionally, this actually happens. But watch closely, if the improvement i slate, it is NEVER going to come - the day is going to stay scuddy (sure, there are exceptions, but if you want to bet conservatively....). You'll only know this from watching it over a period of time - the official forecast models just never seem to get it!

Local knowledge is also important. College Station, TX used to have an FSS on the field, and frequently reported smoke on otherwise nice days. A Houston forecaster was giving me a briefing back then, and remarked "I wonder why they always have smoke up there?" He didn't know that the largest Firefighter Training Field in the country is located adjacent to the airport, and they always burned heavy on the weekends.

Paul

Good subject going into the thunderstorm season, Paul.

There was a time when Part 121 aviating was a luck game. (notice, I've deleted the skill part) Pilots who thought they could walk on water got away with penetrating squall lines and thunderstorms year after year and continued to do so without government or company policy precluding it until one dark night they ended up in a burning wreck in a field with bodies scattered all over the knocked down corn.

The consequence of a number of such events led to strict rules with regard to having and using radar (there was time when it was not required), training that emphasized the danger of a squall line and thunderstorms, and generally how to stay out of trouble, the most important part being there was no airplane built that a healthy thunderstorm could not disassemble in flight.

As pilots wised up and began to use their equipment in a like manner, it frequently resulted in "I need a vector to such and such right now..." rather than taking on a healthy TRW. ATC had enormous challenges controlling the numerous flight plan change requests to avoid dangerous weather. I was once involved in a deal southeast of Chicago where it was every pilot on your own for half an hour as ATC completely lost it the with ensuing chaos of everyone trying to not penetrate obviously dangerous weather.

The next step in the evolutionary development of procedures to avoid such chaotic days was for ATC to simply not issue departure clearances when there were weather situations they knew would result in huge flight plan deviations. So we sat on the ground some days and nights and waited hours for a clearance and when it was issued, frequently was a totally different route as the FAA tried to keep things moving along and not deal with the existing weather over normal routes. Smart guys always added fuel before leaving the gate knowing what might be coming on such days and smart F/O's knew how to whip out a new flight plan and compute fuel required before take off.

How does all this relate to the type of flying we do here? It is quite simple, do not challenge mother nature with these machines. You will be very lucky to be lucky.

There is no such thing as a "skill" in flying through a thunderstorm or to penetrate a line. When the instruments are an unreadable blur because you can not hold your head still enough to see anything, you'll know this is not a wise place to be. A big airplane in really bad turbulence will tend to stay level for a bit because of its momentum but an RV will be upside down before you know it. For sure you will not be in control in thunderstorm turbulence. The out come will be total luck one way or the other.

We experienced this just yesterday...

.....as Jenny and I left Jekyll Island around, Ga. mid-afternoon (when storms pop up), after a visit/seafood fix. We had to detour some restricted areas and contacted Jax approach. When he asked if we had a stormscope, I perked up and told him no but I did have XM wx on my 496.

I zoomed out and HOLY C**P!! A huge squall line about 30-40 miles wide lay straight ahead about 30 miles, so we diverted westerly while watching it all move easterly. Tops were in excess of 30,000' but the deviation only took us an extra 5 minutes when it was all said and done.

Jenny remarked how much value for the dollar our 496 was. I won't fly without wx in the cockpit anymore.

Regards,

Crossing the front

Barb and I are visiting relatives in Sebastian, FL X26 and departed from Opelousas, LA KOPL at 0730 local. This meant an eastern trek along the Florida panhandle using Gulfport, MS; Destin, FL; Panama City, FL with a fuel stop at Perry, FL (40J). A great fuel stop by the way. From there we doglegged down into FL along the west coast, over Cedar Key, to just north of the Tampa Class B. It was then a dash across the state over Lakeland and Bartow to destination.

As we approached Gulfport, the sun was "two fistfuls" above the horizon and daytime heating was just starting to develop the clouds associated with a weak cold front. We cruised along at 7500 feet and true to form, the Gulf water and shoreline were clear of clouds, but gradually built - sloping upward - to scattered / broken cumulus, bases 2500, tops lower teens over land. So we scooted along the coastline with clear on the right and cumes (no rain) on the left starting about 3 or 4 miles inland. I was using flight following which in retrospect was a big help.

If you look on the chart you notice few other airports around Perry 40J, with Tallahassee being the closest to the northwest. KTLH continued to report 1/4 mile in fog forecasting marginal VFR in an hour and good VFR in two. I have XM on a GPS396 onboard and was monitoring KTLH every ten minutes or so. It came time to head inland, and I had nothing in my pocket (yet) that told me Perry's status. I always had an out by doing a 180 back to Panama City or others along the coast. Great timing - Tallahassee approach worked an IFR departure out of Perry as crunch time approached. Approach volunteered info that the outbound flight reported the ceiling was 1600 broken with good vis under the cloud deck at Perry. We started the descent along the shoreline, ducked under about 20 nm from destination and enjoyed good VFR with 10 miles vis the remainder of the flight. As we landed, KTLH was also VFR. Several VFR aircraft were in the pattern at Perry, including a couple other transients heading into southern Florida.

In retrospect I had a couple other tools that I could have used. One was to try and call Perry on Unicom for an (unofficial) overview of aircraft activity, weather and trends.

Also, my focus was on Perry when in fact I had another hour of fuel before I even got into VFR reserves. I could have looked outward and down the west coast of Florida for an alternate fuel stop.

If flight following, ask questions about recent activity at destination. This proved valuable in my case.

Last weekend I flew from Denver (APA) to Fort Madison Iowa (FSW) Friday morning. Then back on Monday morning. Because of possible weather both trips were at first light, but for different reasons. Both trips were on IFR plans. Both trips were VFR all the way. The timing of both flights was based on the weather. Friday morning was calm but there was quite a bit of moisture. As I took of from Centennial in VFR conditions a Pilatus was holding at BJC because Rocky Mountain was below minimums. I knew that weather would be a factor only at the start. No way was I going in the dark. Coming back there was a line that I had watched just north of my route. It was trending away from my path. There was still moisture forcast for Denver. I knew that the sooner I got home the better the weather would be. The only precip I saw was a little virga once the front range mountains were in sight. The day turned out to be better than it could have been no thunderstorms till much later. Sometimes the best Thunderstorm avoidence is to pass them by Before they might form. Never lit up the storm scope on either trip.
Even if you only fly VFR you need to be IFR rated to be safe.