prkaye

Well Known Member
It was recommended that I lubricate the guide pins on my break calipers when I have them off for servicing.
I have read on other threads that the Cleveland folks say NO GREASE.

I have some "synthetic break lubricant" that i got from an auto supply place that is advertised to be suitable for all break components, including pins.

I also have a tube of boelube - the white waxy/flakey dry lubricant.

Which would I be better to use on those break caliper pins?

You could use a nickel type anti-seize, but I prefer to see them dry & scotch brite cleaned instead. Any lube will collect brake dust & dirt which will form a nice lapping compund. Maybe if I lived in a harsh rust area I'd feel different

You could use a nickel type anti-seize, but I prefer to see them dry & scotch brite cleaned instead. Any lube will collect brake dust & dirt which will form a nice lapping compund. Maybe if I lived in a harsh rust area I'd feel different

I scotch brite the pins...clean the holes, and apply a THIN coat of copper anti-seize. I've found that this method works extremely well, especially if wheel pants cover the wheels.

RTFM

Cleveland does say no oil or grease, but this is the exact paragraph -

2 Slide pressure plate with new lining over anchor bolts and install brake
caliper into torque plate. Lubricate the anchor bolts with a dry film lubricant
(Appendix B, Section B3) specified for your climate environment:
amphibious/extremely wet or non-amphibious. DO NOT USE GREASE OR OIL.
These materials will attract dirt and enhance the wear of the anchor pins.

And the B-3 section

Anchor Bolts/Torque Plate Bushings
Amphibious Environment
Lubriplate X-357 Extreme Pressure Moly Lubricant
Non-Amphibious Environment
Silicone Spray
Dri-Slide? Multi-Purpose Lubricant
LPS Force 842? Dry Moly Lubricant

The manual is here and is worth a download even if it is 15 MB...:)

http://www.parker.com/literature/Ai...B Product Catalog Static Files/AWBCMM0001.pdf

This looks like it might be a good choice... jig-a-loo graphite extreme lubricant

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_graphite-extreme.php

Graphite Extreme is a serious, fast drying, ultra-thin high performance graphite-based lubricant that can be used in extreme temperatures from -99?F to 986?F.

Especially useful in dusty, dirty conditions where greaseless, oil-free lubrication is required and it will not pick up dust or grit.