BigJohn

Well Known Member
Now that I am into the fuselage kit I find that I am assembling quite a few pieces that will be moving parts. Is it a good idea to lubricate things that are hinged, rotate about a bolt, rollers, etc. as I assemble them? If so, what kind of lubricant would be best?

I searched the forum but couldn't find a thread on this. Any advice appreciated.

Yeah, I realize I would have to be careful about where it goes. But there are places where final paint will not be going, such as the flaperon mixer controls, wing spar rollers, etc. where it just seems a little lubricant would prolong the life of the parts. I'm wondering what others have done in this regard.

Yeah, I realize I would have to be careful about where it goes. But there are places where final paint will not be going, such as the flaperon mixer controls, wing spar rollers, etc. where it just seems a little lubricant would prolong the life of the parts. I'm wondering what others have done in this regard.

John,Their is not many parts on an RV-12 that would require lube during assembly.
The rollers are made of UHMW plastic which is very slick on its own, adding lube would just attract dirt and probably cause more problems than it would solve.
All teh rest of teh moving parts are either rod ends (already greased) or sealed bearings (control mixer bellcrank), etc.

The only moving parts that I can think of that would benefit from being lubed at assembly are the bushing in each control stick. Light oil wold be a good choice.