RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Anyone have any difficulty with the spark plug adaptors that are used in the LSE igintion systems? The ends of the adaptors (the last 1/16", a thread to a thread and a half in the combustion chamber) has gotten fairly pitted, burned, or corroded. This sometimes make it difficult to get the adaptors off or sometimes the adaptors come off with the plugs (yes I am using anti-seize). Also, a friend of mine suggested it could become a potential source of pre-ignition. Upon further inspection it looks like the end of the adaptor sticks out past the end of the plug a bit. Anyone have a similar experience?

Thank you,
Jerry 300+ hours

Hey Guys,
My "fix" for the problem was this... I took the adaptors to a machine shop and had about 3/64 - 1/16 (basically about one thread to 1 1/2 threads) taken off the the combustion chamber side of the adaptor. Now the combustion chamber end of the adaptor is even with the base of the spark plug. My hope is that this will prevent further burning and pitting of the end of the adaptor. If not I may have to replace the adaptors.
By the way, any of you compare the spark of a Denso IK27 Iridium spark plug v.s. a standard aviation spark plug? I did. Holy smokes! The fire of the Denso was about 10 times brighter than the Autolite when run in a spark plug testing machine. Also, the Denso plugs were able to go to a significantly higher pressure than the Autolites before breaking down.

Later,
Jerry N84JE Doing condition inspection #2, 320 glorious hours, Bahamas next week!