CBRXXDRV

Well I went for my yearly Flight physical.(diabetic-special issue) SO the doc says ....been a few years since you had a EKG. (he is my doctor and my AME)(yeah I know).....EKG .......humm don't like this blip, looks like we need a Nuke/stress test. Well I go the gym about 4 days a week on average, I can do this. Now he wants a heart Cath. ****! (this aint goin well) I talked to AOPA and there is no turning back. I gotta keep going till I get my medical back now. If a Stint is needed then they will want 6 months of down time to show I aint gonna croak. This may be the last time I do the physical for the FAA. Once this starts they keep asking for more and also more often and at some point they will deny and you are done flying.

Girl Friend can not understand why my main concern is the fact that I may not be able to fly rather than all this heart stuff......

So the champ I bought to restore for future LSA use.....yeah well the future is about here.

The fuselage came back yesterday (sand blasted and epoxy primer) and I ordered another $1000 worth of stuff
from WAG.

Worse part is the RV 8 may need to go at some point in the near future. Hate to do it but it should not be a hanger queen.....I guess I better start to like the RV12.

Sal
Lakeland FL.

We'll all be in your shoes someday. I just hope you can get the medical back! Without it you are done flying legally.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

The RV-12 is a great airplane. Light, easy to move around on the ground, and nible easy to fly in the air.

I should be at SnF if you want a ride.

Last edited:
I talked to AOPA and there is no turning back. I gotta keep going till I get my medical back now.
Very sorry to hear your news. But yes, once you start the application process, there's no turning back. Best of luck in getting this fixed, but LSA flying is "real flying" and still fun. :)

TODR

.....I guess I better start to like the RV12.

It's not hard to like, once you've flown it! And there are always gliders and motorgliders.....

I hate to think about it, but the day will probably come (hopefully many decades away...) when the RV-8 is not a legal option, so I'm working on convincing myself early that these "other options" are great!

Paul

Not alll hope is gone.

Now I did not sleep at a Holiday in express last night but I am a Cardiologist.

The vast majority of EKGs in healthy middle age and older men are "abnormal". Abnormal doesn't mean disease it just means your ekg looks different than the gold standard and further investigation may be warranted especially in the case of a diabetic.

I really hate stress nukes especially in people who exercise frequently and have no symptoms because 10-15% of the time they are falsly "positive".

Once again "positive" doesn't mean you have serious disease it once again just means we have to look further. That means a Heart Cath.

The Heart Cath is the gold standard and you will know for certain what is going on. You either will have disease or not. Most (80%) of the time if you do have serious disease it can be treated with a stent and you will go home the next day.

6 months seems like forever but it will pass and your burden of info for the FAA will be no worse than it already is for your diabetes. I have 2 airline pilot friends that continued their airline careers after having stents.

Like Geico said, we will alll one day be in your shoes.

So your girlfriend is right worry about the heart stuff, get it fixed <if it is truly there> fill out the necessary paperwork to keep your medical and finsh the RV 8. You have come tooooooo far to give up now.

A few years ago I complained to my AME/personal doc about a shoulder pain when I should have waited to see if it would go away. My thinking was it was simply a pulled muscle but I did not know for sure.

Well, he said we really don't know what is causing it and I was on a nuke stress test the next morning at 8am. The doc administering it was an older guy who had done hundreds of them, mostly on pilots, and told me he was keeping my street shoes until the test was over. I was either going to be admitted or would walk out. He also said the human heart is better designed than any aircraft engine and frequently runs 80 to 100 years without an overhaul. :)

It was all in good humor but it was serious test. About 2 hours later, he handed me the shoes and said I could leave. The results were in my favor this time, the pain departed in a day or so and probably was a pulled back muscle.

The point here being, the nuke test can bring home good news. If something does show up, that too can be good news in that something can be done about it before there is a serious event.

Being over 70, I think about LSA a lot but it sure would be a long flight to OSH at maybe 70 verses 150 knots - but it would be better than driving or walking.

Here's hoping you will sail through all these tests and get that certificate one more time.

It's not hard to like, once you've flown it! And there are always gliders and motorgliders.....

I hate to think about it, but the day will probably come (hopefully many decades away...) when the RV-8 is not a legal option, so I'm working on convincing myself early that these "other options" are great!
They are great. LSA flying is certainly different, but still fun. Sailplanes, as you know, offer new challenges for pilots. Doing a 300km distance without an engine is hard but pretty cool.

The motorglider issue is an interesting one. To fly a motorglider (powered gliders in FAA-speak), you need a glider ticket (with appropriate endorsement for self-launch) but no medical. Unlike the LSA regs, you can fly gliders (including powered gliders) if you medical has been revoked or an application denied. The PIC must not "knows or [have any] reason to know of any medical condition that would make him unable to operate the glider in a
safe manner."

"Powered gliders" are not "airplanes" - you need a glider ticket to fly a powered glider, even if you never stop the engine. Add-on ratings are fun and very educational (200 ft rope breaks, always exciting!).

As others have said, take care of your health first. If you're dead, you can't fly, except to have your ashes scattered.

TODR

Don't give up

Sal,
Hang in there. Last year at this time, I had been told I would probably have to have heart valve surgery "within the next 10 years." Well, it turned out to be last April. I am now living with a bovine tissue mitral valve. I have doctor's appointments in January to complete the various medical tests to re-apply for my 3rd Class Special Issuance.

I know exactly how you feel. Take care of your health first. The heart is an amazing organ, and cardiologists and cardiac surgeons can do amazing things. There's a pilot in Georgia who regained his 3rd Class S.I. with a TRANSPLANTED heart.

I decided to keep on building my RV-7 (now on wings) with the plan to complete it someday. Whether or not I get to fly it remains to be seen, but I have confidence that I will do so. I do admit that the RV-12 looks better now than it did a year ago. :)

Best wishes for good health. And keep on keeping on.

Dont want to be the source of further pain, but I think there may be some misunderstanding here, at least by some posters. Stepping down to LSA is not a legal option once you fail your medical is it? Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

erich

Dont want to be the source of further pain, but I think there may be some misunderstanding here, at least by some posters. Stepping down to LSA is not a legal option once you fail your medical is it? Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Correct. Once you are denied, you need to get issued a new medical to fly as a Sport Pilot.

TODR

From the FAA

Sport Pilot Medical Certification Questions and Answers

• Print
  • Email
  • | Updated: 2:09 pm ET August 11, 2005
If I suspect I have a significant medical condition, but have never had an FAA medical certificate denied, suspended, or revoked, can I exercise sport pilot privileges using my current and valid driver?s license, if otherwise qualified?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
Long-standing FAA regulation, ? 61.53, prohibits all pilots--those who are required to hold airman medical certificates and those who are not--from exercising privileges during periods of medical deficiency. The FAA revised ? 61.53 to include under this prohibition sport pilots who use a current and valid U.S. driver?s license as medical qualification. The prohibition is also added under ?? 61.23 (c) (2) (iv) and 61.303 (b) (2) (4) for sport pilot operations.

You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. Certain medical information that may be helpful for pilots can be found in our Pilot Safety Brochures.

Provided I otherwise qualify and have never sought FAA medical certification, am I authorized to exercise sport pilot privileges on the basis of a current and valid driver?s license if I have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes?

You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician?s recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations.

Sport Pilot Medical Certification Questions and Answers

Print
Email
| Updated: 4:01 pm ET July 20, 2005
Why can?t an airman with a current and valid driver?s license medically self?certify to exercise sport pilot privileges if their most recent Special Issuance was withdrawn or last FAA medical certificate was denied, suspended, or revoked?

To clarify that, if your most recent records on file with the FAA indicate that you were found ineligible to exercise airman privileges for medical reasons then, in the interest of public safety, you shouldn?t go out right away and use your driver?s license as medical qualification.

We understand that these conditions may not have been expected and may disappoint some people. That was not our intent, nor is it our intent that affected persons would have to maintain an airman medical certificate if they would rather use their current and valid U.S. driver?s license to medically qualify as a sport pilot.

We ultimately concluded that, in those cases where the FAA has existing knowledge of medical ineligibility, we need the affected person to address it and, hopefully have it resolved. To meet the intent of the rule, the affected person should apply for reconsideration of their eligibility. In some denial cases, applicants simply may not have provided enough information to the FAA or may not have supplied information that the FAA may have requested. In certain other denial cases, applicants may not have exercised their appeal rights, which could have led to certification in some cases.

The FAA wants to see as many pilots as possible take advantage of this exciting new rule and looks forward to working with individuals seeking to exercise sport pilot privileges. We also intend to work with EAA, AOPA, and other industry groups toward that end

An AME who will do a medical before the paperwork could be very important. They are out there. If there is any doubt, why not have a regular physical first?

Bob Kelly

Unfortunately, any prescribed down time for a stent or any other medical issue is multiplied by the time it takes for the FAA to review medical records and make a decision, I know stent recipients who have given up on the review process because of 6+ months FAA takes to review records. This eats into their 12 months from the time they see the AME. More than 2 years ago I experienced a loss of consciousness which after MRI's, CAT scans, X-rays, stress testing, etc was diagnosed as "syncopy of unknown etology". I remain in perfect health with the only "medication" being an 81 mg aspirin taken daily. Two and one half months ago (after the required 2 year down time), I submitted all my medical records for renewal of my 3rd class. If approved today, it would be good for only the remaining 9 and 1/2 months of the 12 month cycle. The FAA medical review process and schedule remains clouded in secrecy and mystery. The best I can get from them is that my records were inputted into their computers within the first two weeks after receipt and now the doctors are looking at my records. The question: Go light sport at the first opportunity or fight this annually? (Note: A stress test is not required for 3rd class unless other factors surface).

The question: Go light sport at the first opportunity or fight this annually? (Note: A stress test is not required for 3rd class unless other factors surface).
My father went SP for this exact reason. We started flying when he was 64 and he figured it was only a matter of time before something made him ineligible, so he went SP right from the start.

The great irony of this is that LSA can be harder to fly traditional low-end certified airplanes, i.e., 150/152s, 172s, Cherokees.

erich

True statement - but I think the intent of the original poster (at least the way I read it) was to go ahead and go through whatever is required to get the medical THIS TIME, and then let it lapse in good standing. At that point he is legal to fly SP with a drivers license.

True statement - but I think the intent of the original poster (at least the way I read it) was to go ahead and go through whatever is required to get the medical THIS TIME, and then let it lapse in good standing. At that point he is legal to fly SP with a drivers license.
Correct, as long as he meets the requirement for not having or believeing he has a condition that would prohibit him from safely conducting the flight - note this does not mean you are prohibited just because you have some condition or are taking a medication that would fail you for a medical. There are lots of reasons why you can fail a medical but still be a safe pilot.

Example: I passed my most recent BFR when I was still getting chemo weekly. I had no side effects from the drug, other than sleepiness from the benadryl they gave with it. The use of the drug "is potentially allowable by the FAA with a Special Issuance or waiver, but requires at least a 72-hour waiting period after infusions." If I had a medical, my chemo would have been done before I got a special issuance and who knows for how much longer I would have been grounded.

TODR

A few years ago I complained to my AME/personal doc about a shoulder pain when I should have waited to see if it would go away. My thinking was it was simply a pulled muscle but I did not know for sure.

Well, he said we really don't know what is causing it and I was on a nuke stress test the next morning at 8am. The doc administering it was an older guy who had done hundreds of them, mostly on pilots, and told me he was keeping my street shoes until the test was over. I was either going to be admitted or would walk out. He also said the human heart is better designed than any aircraft engine and frequently runs 80 to 100 years without an overhaul. :)

It was all in good humor but it was serious test. About 2 hours later, he handed me the shoes and said I could leave. The results were in my favor this time, the pain departed in a day or so and probably was a pulled back muscle.

The point here being, the nuke test can bring home good news. If something does show up, that too can be good news in that something can be done about it before there is a serious event.

Being over 70, I think about LSA a lot but it sure would be a long flight to OSH at maybe 70 verses 150 knots - but it would be better than driving or walking.

Here's hoping you will sail through all these tests and get that certificate one more time.

David,

If you go to Oshkosh in a 12 you will need a 50 knot headwind to go 70 knots. If you go in a Cub...hmmmm.

Planning in Advance re LSA

I will be 80-years old this summer. I have been flying an RV6A for over 14-years now and I believed it was time to act before the FAA 'cut me off.'

I just took my 3rd class medical so I am good with the -6A for another two years. I started the RV-12 in January this year, and have the fuselage, wings, tail cone and feathers done. I have the cowling done and am starting on the tip-up canopy. The bird is on its wheels and beginning to look like an airplane.

I am expecting the engine forward package soon and have the avionics package on hand already.

When the -12 looks like its nearing completion I am going to try to sell (almost give away) the RV6A and just fly the -12.

The two year window of my 3rd class medical gives me a good cushion while building the LSA. I think this will all work out and avoid any of the FAA medical problems others spoke of above.

FWIW

John at Salida, CO

An AME who will do a medical before the paperwork could be very important. They are out there. If there is any doubt, why not have a regular physical first?

Bob Kelly

I agree. Whats to stop a guy from making an appointment with his doctor (who just so happens to be an AME) for a physical and saying, "look doc, this isn't a medical. But if it were... would I pass? Why or why not?"

If the answer is positive... make another appointment for next week. If not? fix it.

Is there some sort of legality preventing a doctor from doing this? It's simply "professional advice after an in-depth physical exam."

I agree. Whats to stop a guy from making an appointment with his doctor (who just so happens to be an AME) for a physical and saying, "look doc, this isn't a medical. But if it were... would I pass? Why or why not?"

At my last physical - I had passed... but had some questions regarding my high blood pressure history. While it was OK for the physical, I knew it had been running high. I started to ask the question... the Doc stopped me... walked out of the exam room and handed my FAA paperwork to the nurse... came back in and said, "Ok your FAA medical is done... lets talk about your blood pressure".

While I think there is an ethical requirement to be honest on both sides in regards to the FAA - I see no reason why your physician can't take off his FAA hat and be your advocate and still discuss issues with you, using his medical examiners experience.

DJ

Last edited:
While I think there is an ethical requirement to be honest on both sides in regards to the FAA - I see no reason why your physician can't take off his FAA hat and be your advocate and still discuss issues with his medical examiners experience.

Certainly there is an AME in this group who can chime in here.

When doing an FAA exam who is the AME responsible to. You or the FAA?

A physician who shares medical info about his patient with anyone or any entity without that patients permission is in serious trouble.

Probably the only exception to this is if the physician has reason to believe that not sharing the info will lead to serious injury or death of the patient or someone else.

getting the cart behind the horse

I talked this whole medical thing over with my doctor the last time I was in for a physical. He told me the simplest way to handle it is to have the physical before filling out the application. Should you fail the physical, it was just a physical, if you pass go ahead and submit the application. If there is any doubt about passing the physical ask, no tell the doctor you want to take the physical before filling out any paperwork. If he says no go find another AME. You will find one who will work with you. If you don't ask the answer is always "NO".

"Don't Give Up" from Jan. 2005

Don-

May I please ask you a question based on your experience, described in the above noted forum post?

I'm 62; my 3rd class medical expired; I've never failed any previous medical.
Tomorrow, I'm going to have 2 stents put in, to address heart block.

If I apply for a special issuance 3rd class medical; and get rejected, would that disqualify me from ever being able to fly LSA?

Thank you very much.

Ron
Santa Clara, California
near Ames Research, Moffet Field.

Ron: Any failure of the medical disqualfies you. Don't take it if there is any doubt and LSA is your intent. There is a motor glider out there that does 140 kts cruise under power. Look up the Pipistrel.

Don-

May I please ask you a question based on your experience, described in the above noted forum post?

I'm 62; my 3rd class medical expired; I've never failed any previous medical.
Tomorrow, I'm going to have 2 stents put in, to address heart block.

If I apply for a special issuance 3rd class medical; and get rejected, would that disqualify me from ever being able to fly LSA?

Thank you very much.

Ron
Santa Clara, California
near Ames Research, Moffet Field.

Ron,

I'll chime in since this is an old thread and don't know how many folks will see it again.

If you fail your physical and are unable to receive a special issuance, you will not ever be eligible for flying light sport as the regulations stand today. Ultralight or sailplane flight will be your only options. If I was in your position, I would thoroughly research this matter via an AME, the FAA, and the medical division of AOPA to determine whether or not to ever attempt another FAA medical. If I had reasonable doubt about receiving a 3rd class medical, I would never attempt the physical, allow my current medical to expire, and go fly light sport legally as long as I can self-certify.

I wish you the very best with the stents and hope you regain a wonderful quality of life!

There are some really great LSA aircraft available. :)

Stents I have 3

And a 3rd class that gets renewed every year under the annual Nuke stress test and visit my flight surgeon every year under a 3rd class medical. I did have a 2nd when doing aerial photography for a part time income but don't need to rely on that as much while building the '7'. Hope you hang in there, the doc is right, once you get the medical back you can opt for the sport pilot option.

I am flying with a special issuance 3rd class with 2 stents.

You must wait 6 months to apply and during this time, you do not have a medical.

After 6 months, (not a day sooner), they will want to see all the history of your stent proceedure, (everything, not just some letter from your Dr.), follow up visits, current blood work, a current treadmill stress test where you will have to meet certain limits for your age. (yep they want all the original tracings and everything)

Once you send all that stuff in, you will be waiting. It can take from 1 to 3 months to get a reply. Hopefully you will of have sent them all the required documents and crossed every t and dotted every i so that you do not have to wait longer. There are people at the EAA, AOPA, etc. that can let you know what they will want to see.

If they give you a SI medical, most likely it will only be good for 1 year. They gave me a 5 year authorization for my DME to be able to renew my medical if I get the required test each year and pass em. Otherwise you have to send it to them each year and wait.

It can be done!!!

One thing about going Light Sport.....If you know you have a condition that would otherwise cause you to be disqualified for a regular medical, you cannot legally fly Light Sport. Doing so is the same as flying a regular plane with no medical.

I have no idea where people get the idea that you can just not renew your medical while knowing you would flunk it and get away with flying Light Sport. If you have an accident, once the investigation is complete and they learn of your history, your insurance will be void, and at best you will get a big fine from the FAA.

I believe that once you have a special issuance you are considered to not have a "regular" medical and thus unless you can loose the "special issuance" on your medical there is no option to fly light sport by not returning for your next medical. In other words --- your flying is finished if you can't maintain the special issuance medical.

But, if you have a current non SI medical and choose not to go back for another it might prolong your flying life and minimize risk with good judgement as to ones fitness for flight.

Brian, glad you were able to get your SI.

One thing about going Light Sport.....If you know you have a condition that would otherwise cause you to be disqualified for a regular medical, you cannot legally fly Light Sport. Doing so is the same as flying a regular plane with no medical.

I have no idea where people get the idea that you can just not renew your medical while knowing you would flunk it and get away with flying Light Sport. If you have an accident, once the investigation is complete and they learn of your history, your insurance will be void, and at best you will get a big fine from the FAA.

Can you direct us to some documentation to support this assertion?

Last edited:

Yes...and No. Yes, if you can never regain your Special Issuance Class III Medical. No, if you can regain your Special Issuance Class III Medical.

Ron,

If you fail your physical and are unable to receive a special issuance, you will not ever be eligible for flying light sport as the regulations stand today.

Let me amplify what Sam has said... if you fail your physical, BUT CAN LATER PASS IT, you can THEN either fly with the Special Issuance OR pilot an LSA as a Sport Pilot. While failing a physical is serious business and could cause a pilot to wonder if he/she really wants to pursue this, it's not always the end of the road...as the regulations stand today.

I believe that once you have a special issuance you are considered to not have a "regular" medical and thus unless you can loose the "special issuance" on your medical there is no option to fly light sport by not returning for your next medical. In other words --- your flying is finished if you can't maintain the special issuance medical.

But, if you have a current non SI medical and choose not to go back for another it might prolong your flying life and minimize risk with good judgement as to ones fitness for flight.

Where in the world did you read this??? This sounds like something thrown around at the Saturday morning flyin breakfast! In this whole area of FAA medical, Special Issuance FAA medical, and Sport Pilot regulations, I've never seen any distinction like you describe. If it's in the FAA regulations, you owe it to us to provide the source. I've discussed this topic with two AME's, the AOPA medical staff and a cardiologist who is a pilot, and I've never heard of such a distinction between the Special Issuance FAA medical and the non-Special Issuance FAA medical.

From the FAA website:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response4/

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thank you, John. Your appropriate reference to the FAA web site should provide some factual insight into this discussion.

Our fitness to "exercise the privileges" of piloting an aircraft is determined by a two party system: One, written standards by which the FAA medical staff including our AME's evaluate us, and Two, our own self-awareness of our personal physical conditions. Our own judgment is a big part of determining our medical fitness to fly.

Last edited:
Not sure this is correct advice.....

Check out bullet #4 here....

Sam,

Thanks, I just hope I can hang on to it for many more years to come!!! My annual trip to the cardiologist is tomorrow to get setup for all the test required to keep it rolling.

What John said above.

Lots of good stuff here:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/

This is directly addressed on bullet #2...

Yeah there is all sorts of opportunities there for people to try and find loopholes and plead ignorance but as we all know ignorance is not a defense anymore.

The same rule applies here that applied to me the day I got my two stents. At that point I still had a valid medical in my pocket but I was legally not allowed to be PIC due to this same regulation. Light Sport Pilot rules are the same in this regard. There is no free lunch with Light Sport when it comes to things that are on the FAA's list as being disqualifying.

Everyone that wants to go light sport needs to fully understand what that means medically. Here is a list of things which allows one to find what might be considered disqualifying by the FAA.

In a way the fact that they allow a Light Sport Pilot to "self certify" is kinda hard to imagine since most people have no idea what conditions are disqualifying by the FAA. But the FAA does make this info available on their website and that takes the liability off of them and places it on the pilot.

Brian, glad you were able to get your SI.

Can you direct us to some documentation to support this assertion?

Last edited:
Sam,

What John said above.

Lots of good stuff here:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/

This is directly addressed on bullet #2...

Yeah there is all sorts of opportunities there for people to try and find loopholes and plead ignorance but as we all know ignorance is not a defense anymore.

The same rule applies here that applied to me the day I got my two stents. At that point I still had a valid medical in my pocket but I was legally not allowed to be PIC due to this same regulation. Light Sport Pilot rules are the same in this regard. There is no free lunch with Light Sport when it comes to things that are on the FAA's list as being disqualifying.

In my opinion those bullets are nothing more than bureaucratic attempts to wiggle out of a very clumsy bit of regulation while avoiding legal and political liability. Under one bullet it states you can't have a medical deficiency, another says it is up to your doctor to determine if you have a medical deficiency, and another says a current drivers license is sufficient to exercise the sport pilot privileges.

What a mess.....hope the FAA gets this clarified at some point in the future. I suspect they are exploring every means possible to put Sport Pilots back under the umbrella of flight physicals.

Oh man do I hear you brother!!!! Amen! Amen! I second and third that!!

But it is the FAA we are talking about!

It really concerns me that there is so much open for interpretation. The GA pilot population is getting older fast and many of them think they are perfectly safe to let their medical lapse and go light sport but I doubt the lawyers and courts will see it in their favor if an accident happens or someone is called on the carpet for flying with a disqualifying condition that is burried in some medical mumbo jumbo on the FAA medical webpage.....

In my opinion those bullets are nothing more than bureaucratic attempts to wiggle out of a very clumsy bit of regulation while avoiding legal and political liability. Under one bullet it states you can't have a medical deficiency, another says it is up to your doctor to determine if you have a medical deficiency, and another says a current drivers license is sufficient to exercise the sport pilot privileges.

What a mess.....hope the FAA gets this clarified at some point in the future. I suspect they are exploring every means possible to put Sport Pilots back under the umbrella of flight physicals.

Oh, not again.

Your analysis is not entirely correct. I can't speak to your specific situation, but there is a significant difference in the requirements for operations that require a medical, operations that require a DL (i.e., sport pilot) and operations that do not require a medical (e.g., gliders). The FARs address each of these differently.

If the flight does not require a medical, then the standard is that you be able to safely complete the flight as PIC and, if required, have a DL and comply with all of its medical limitations (e.g., corrective lenses). Depending on the circumstances, you might have conditions that would disqualify you for a FAA medical and still fly legally and safely as a SP.

The big difference to me is that as a sport pilot, the decision about whether you're fit to fly is up to you and your doctor, not the FAA. Just like it is about, oh, driving a 8,000 lb SUV in traffic, running a marathon, using power tools, riding a bicycle, etc. Just show some maturity and good judgment, and ask your doctor whether you should be flying.

Check out FAR 61.23 (c)(2)(iv), which states that a SP must "Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.". It says nothing about having conditions or medications that would disqualify you from a medical. If I believe I'm fit to fly and my doctor agrees, then I'm going to fly.

Now, if you have a medical or apply for a medical and are denied, then you have to meet all of the eligibility requirements for the medical as long as it is valid (and you choose to fly).

This topic has been discussed at length on VAF by me and others. I'm too lazy to search my old posts, but I've put up a very detailed analysis of this issue before.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm jumping on you, but this misconception has been around for about 5 years now and I don't know how we get rid of it.

TODR