Alan Gilmore

I just finished the right wing to my RV12 and decided it was a good time to start my flight lessons. That way by time I finish my RV12 I will probably have my license and some time as PIC.

Anyhow, here is my situation. After my first class the instructor gave me a "Pilot information sheet" to fill out. Mostly typical stuff on the front page, name, address, emergency contact info, etc. But, the back page was a rather large "Yes/No" check list about my medical conditions. Questions were about headaches, heart/vascular, blood pressure, kidney stones, diabetes, epilepsy, seizures, mental disorders, substance dependence, suicide attempts, motion sickness, rejection for life/helath insurance, admission to hospital, DWI, etc.

So, if the Sport Pilot license only requires a drivers license, why do I have to fill out this medical form?

If I have any of these problems, will I be grounded?

I am assuming that if I "check Yes" to any of the questions I will at least have to submit more details in writing?

Has anyone else been through this?

Do you think this is an insurance issue?

Also, if it is an insurance issue, this will have to be settled before I solo?

I don't understand the questionnaire either. The regs require a VALID driver's license. Each state is different. Do you have to answer these questions for your state DL?
Many people don't understand what conditions might invalidate their DL because they are not usually enforced.
Is it possible that this questionnaire is just for the flight school? I would ask questions before giving this information.

Flight School

As a self-proclaimed expert on LSAs, and an employee of a flight school teaching in LSAs, here's my guess:

The form your instructor had you complete is generic to the flight school. They probably use the same form for all flight students, not just the LSA students. My suggestion to you is to simply "decline to state" or "N/A" on the medical questions, and complete the rest of it.

Sounds like the...

...Pilot Information Sheet is left over from before the Sport Pilot license existed.

Ask the FBO if this is the case.

Could the form be the medical part of the application for a Private level student license application - which is needed before solo?

Last edited:
Interesting question.

I think that it's probably a carry-over from teaching PP students, who need a third-class medical. Strictly speaking, you don't need to discuss such issues with the feds or your instructor.

However, consider discussing any medical concerns you have with your flight instructor. It is their butt in the airplane with you when you're flying, and they might have some useful insight for you.

TODR

Some of it would still apply.

If I understand the regulations correctly, you can't fly LSA if you have a condition or take medication that would prevent you from getting a medical.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-61.html#14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.32

So, I think it's a valid questionnaire. However, I don't see any "legal" reason that you need to answer the question. Therefore, showing the driver's license should be good enough for the school, unless there is an insurance issue.

2 cents

Actually,......

If I understand the regulations correctly, you can't fly LSA if you have a condition or take medication that would prevent you from getting a medical.

This is a common misinterpretation. You can't fly under Sport Pilot rules if you are "unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner". If you look back in ?61.23(C)ii, you'll read that Operations requiring either a medical certificate or U.S. driver's license inlcude "A sport pilot certificate in a light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon".

Read just a bit further down and you'll find:
(2) A person using a current and valid U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must?
(i) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying to the operation of a motor vehicle;
(ii) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);
(iii) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn; and
(iv) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.
In summary, there is nothing that says you can't fly under Sport Pilot Rules if you have a condition or take medication that would prevent you from getting a medical, rather you can't fly under Sport Pilot Rules if you have a condition or take medication that would prevent you from operating in a safe manner.

This is a common misinterpretation. You can't fly under Sport Pilot rules if you are "unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner".
In summary, there is nothing that says you can't fly under Sport Pilot Rules if you have a condition or take medication that would prevent you from getting a medical, rather you can't fly under Sport Pilot Rules if you have a condition or take medication that would prevent you from operating in a safe manner.
Exactly. SP do not need to meet the requirements for getting a third-class medical. They can be used as guidelines to evaluate your fitness to fly, but are not hard and fast rules.

TODR

Medication

I can't warn you enough regardless of the type of certificate you need not to give more than is 'required'. What ever information you provide (whether it is required or not) can be used against you and to rediculous extremes. I made this mistake once with meds I hadn't had in over two years. But I mentioned them as historical information. I lost my medical and it took me four months to get it back. Not because I had medical issues, it was because they kept asking for a letter from the AME stating certain things. We had to send four different ones before they would accept what we said. We didn't add or take away any information from the previous letters. We just moved things around. Another friend had a similar situation and he is a CFII. He had to write his congressman to get his back.

The AOPA website says that the primary reason for loss of medical certificates is from the pilots not sending the proper documentation specified in the letters they send out. This is according to the FAA.

Well let me tell you...........Each time they sent this letter, it was the same thing. They just re-sent it. The AME and I followed it to the "T" and still they were not happy. Their guidance is very vague. The assessors aren't even physicians. Be very careful my friend. Be very careful what you tell them.

Cheers