David-aviator

Well Known Member
A friend and I were discussing LSA this morning and wondered about insurance.

Anyone here have information on how the insurance industry is dealing with pilots flying with a drivers license instead of the FAA medical certificate?

I had the same concerns a year ago when I starting flying again after lots of health problems. My insurance company was not concerned about anything except my so many hundred hours of safe flying, even that was long ago. They tacked on a requirement that I get 5 hours of currency training (which was not adequate in my opinion).
This was NOT for a homebuilt, but for a 64 year old plane!
Someone please respond relative to something like an RV 12 which I will be changing my insurance to in a year or two.

Not sure about E-LSAs, but there are a lot of companies underwriting S-LSAs. Call EAA or AOPA's insurance departments. Also try Sky Smith Insurance.

We use Falcon Insurance for all of our Jabiru S-LSAs and E-ABs. Great service and they understand light aviation.

I won't be able to tell you about RV-12-specific insurance details for a few months until we get ours done. Man, that build goes fast!! :eek:

Insurance on my friend Bill's S-LSA Legend Cub is about the same as my RV-8 with the same hull value.

Yesterday I did what I should have done before posting this message, I called Nation Air.

LSA insurance is not a problem - some companies may boost the premium 2-3% - but getting insurance is not a problem.