Jesse

Well Known Member
Is anybody familiar with the St Charles airport (LS40) next to New Orleans? Planning to fly in in an RV-10 to look at an RV-6A on Wednesday. Any thoughts on dealing with KMSY would be great. Condition of runway at St Charles?

Is anybody familiar with the St Charles airport (LS40) next to New Orleans? Planning to fly in in an RV-10 to look at an RV-6A on Wednesday. Any thoughts on dealing with KMSY would be great. Condition of runway at St Charles?

On my visit to New Orleans I used Lakefront, but when I departed to the West I asked for clearance through the Class B to fly along the river and take pictures. The ATC folks were remarkably friendly and accommodating, and seemed much less busy that the other Class B areas I have visited. It should be no problem.

New-Orleans-ferry-2.jpg

LS40

Jesse: Don't have any first hand intel for LS40 but will call around try to get you some. I fly around and thru the N.O. Class B frequently and the folks are very easy to work with. If you are coming from the east talking to Gulfport approach they will hand you off to N.O. apc. You could get vectored around some depending on which way the airliners are landing MSY. Talk to the locals about departure procedures, they probably have a deal worked out with MSY tower.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Been there several times for their Turkey Fry and Crawfish Boil events. Great people, and the strip is good enough for a Velocity to be based there, so an RV will be no problem at all if you're used to landing on grass. I haven't been down there in a few years, but I can't imagine them not keeping it in good condition.

ATC is very accommodating (the turkey fry is for them each fall :) ), and you can even get in there without ever entering the Class B, if you'd rather not talk to them. Just follow the river in from the west & stay below 1000 ft. That assumes that nothing has changed in the last couple of years, & Skyvector still shows the notch in the bottom level of the Class B.

Tell 'em Charlie & Tupper from Slobovia said 'Hi.'

Charlie