db1yg

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I note that the LS Engineering Spark Plugs (Denso W24EMR-c) now cost $8.90 each. I am looking for a less expensive alternative and found a couple on which I would like your input.

I know some of you run the NGK BR8ES (around $2 each) and would like any comments on normal life with the LS II or III EI units.

I also found another Denso, the W24ESR-U, for $2.39/each at Sparkplugs.com. This plug is identical to the LS recommended plug EXCEPT that it has a "regular" electrode vs the "compact" electrode on the LS recommended plug. It also uses a "U-Groove" ground electrode vs the "cut back" ground electrode on the recommended plug. Comments from anyone using this plug would also be valuable----normal life/any problems/etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

db

I'm using BR8EIX Iridium plugs.. checked @ 115 hrs and there was absolutely NO wear at all.. gap was exactly the same as it was when they were installed on day 1.. They're about $7 each online..

I do not subscribe to "throw away at 100 hrs regardless of wear" thinking..

Do regular plugs wear more? Do you actually have to throw them away at 100 hrs???

On the marketing side of things, some dyno testing apparently showed that these Iridium plugs increased horse power... that was interesting.. not sure you can really confirm/measure in our application... but hey.. sounds good on paper.. (link to that testing is here: http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=NGK+Dyno+Results&mfid=0 )

PS.. data point - we have same ignition :)

Do regular plugs wear more? Do you actually have to throw them away at 100 hrs???

What do you mean by regular plugs? Are you speaking of the regular champion spark plugs most common in aviation? There are usually two types of plugs used in most common airplane applications. A "massive electrode" type of plug which is most commonly used due to the fact that they are the cheaper style of plugs (Normally around 28 dollars a piece). I have seen these plugs run in engines for 1200 hours with no issues. They do wear, but at each inspection you pull them out, gap them and test them to see if they still pass and can be put back in. The other type of plug is a "fine wire" plug. These are far more expensive ( I think the last time I checked they were somewhere around 100 bucks each). These are excellent plugs to use and I reccommend them to my customers running higher horse engines. They are far less likely to lead foul and I have seen these plugs go 2000 hours before.

I'm referring to auto plugs.. and regular would be BR8ES for example -- a non-Iridium (and in this case non-Platinum also) plug.. the "cheapo" may be another term that can be used..

cheaper plugs

I replaced my original Denso plugs at last annual with cheaper NGK alternatives and just yesterday inspected them at this years annual. They had over 100 hrs and still looked great. I cleaned and regapped them another year's use. Randy

Randy,

By referring to the NGK alternative are you talking about the BR8ES plug? I have a set on my workbench and was thinking of switching to these when the current Denso W24EMR-C plugs wear out. How long have you been using these and what kind of "life" are you getting out of them?

Cheers,

db

Randy,

Sorry--just noticed from your last post that it looks like you have been using these for 100 hrs. Sounds like they might be a good alternative.

Cheers,
db

I have been using NGK BR8ES plugs for my dual P-Mags for 375 hrs now. I replaced the first set at 150hr just for "good measure". They appeared to be in great shape and had been operating flawlessly at that point but at @1.79 a piece I replaced them at annual. The second set has now been in place for 225hrs so far and shows no signs degradation in performance. I will probably replace it at next annual when they reach about 250 hrs, again just for "good measure". I checked the gap and it has increased by 2 to 3 thousands in 225 hrs of operation, about the same as a standard aviation plug would. Based on that track record I see no need to switch to more exotic plugs.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988

SNIP...I also found another Denso, the W24ESR-U, for $2.39/each at Sparkplugs.com. This plug is identical to the LS recommended plug EXCEPT that it has a "regular" electrode vs the "compact" electrode on the LS recommended plug... SNIP

It's not the electrode that's compact, it's the ceramic insulator on the back side where the plug wire attaches that's short. On our RV installs, there's no need for the short insulators and standard-length plugs are fine.

I just replaced the original W24EMR-C's after 120 hours and noticed a fair amount of electrode erosion, both center and ground electrodes. The gap had probably opened up to .045". Color was nice. This is on an IO-360-A3B6D. I replaced 'em with AC R41XL, which is the equivalent to a standard-insulator-length Denso, and cost $1.55/ea at RockAuto. One of the stock applications of the AC R41XL and NGK BR8ES and Denso W24ESR-U is for a '78-'79 Porsche 930 turbo. The W24EMR-C are originally from a 2-stroke motorcycle engine.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, 220 hours

NGK BR8ES - Solid caps

When you get the BR8ES plugs ask for the solid cap version. They also make them with screw on caps. For aviation you should use solid caps.

I'm using them, and they last a long time. You will not be able to tell a difference between them and the original ones.

The W24ESR-U plugs Klaus now sells work very well (same construction internally, same resistor) with a "U" groove on the ground electrode they are a bit longer than the EMR plugs which does not affect RV installations. Klaus has spend many years testing types of plugs and has found the Denso plugs to be the most consistent, I'm sure many other types would work, but I like to use what has the the most time in use (why I bought an RV)

Peter RV6 180HP+ FI CS full inverted LSE PIII

Hi Folks,

I note that the LS Engineering Spark Plugs (Denso W24EMR-c) now cost $8.90 each. I am looking for a less expensive alternative and found a couple on which I would like your input.

I know some of you run the NGK BR8ES (around $2 each) and would like any comments on normal life with the LS II or III EI units.

I also found another Denso, the W24ESR-U, for $2.39/each at Sparkplugs.com. This plug is identical to the LS recommended plug EXCEPT that it has a "regular" electrode vs the "compact" electrode on the LS recommended plug. It also uses a "U-Groove" ground electrode vs the "cut back" ground electrode on the recommended plug. Comments from anyone using this plug would also be valuable----normal life/any problems/etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

db

Peter,

Thanks for the response. I did not know that Klaus was recommending or selling the W24ESR-u Denso---thought he was only selling the W24EMR-c as the standard plug for the Plasma Ign. The c is certainly less expensive and it is available locally for me.

Cheers,

db