RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Listers

First : Happy Independance Day to all our US Friends

Second; Today I was looking at GPS/ LPV Approachs and notice that all of them have ( Jepps anyway ) in the upper left corner a square with the mention '' WASS, Ch *****, W-**A ' which I assume are for WASS/LPV approach, am I right on this ( never done a LPV approach yet )

Is this info required to be entered anywhere in your Wass GPS prior to doing the approach?

A friend with a GNS 480 in his Grumman would like to know.

Thank you for your imputs

Bruno
[email protected]

The channels auto tunes in our aircraft when the specific approach is entered into our FMS.

The W = WAAS
The number E.G. - 05 = Runway 5
The letter "A" = This is the first WAAS approach to runway 05

W-05A will show on our PFD when we are on the approach.

WAAS Channels

The channels auto tunes in our aircraft when the specific approach is entered into our FMS.

The W = WAAS
The number E.G. - 05 = Runway 5
The letter "A" = This is the first WAAS approach to runway 05

W-05A will show on our PFD when we are on the approach.

With the Garmin 4XXW/5XXW, the WAAS channels auto tune and are not shown on the normal moving map displays. The need to know this information is essentially transparent to the end user.

Skylor
RV-8 N808SJ

GPS APPROACHS

Thanks Skylor

He has a GNS 480 in his Grumman so it should be the same.

Thanks

Bruno

Some FMS systems use the channel to select the approach. I seem to recall there's a section in the AIM about it. You can ignore it.

Lpv Approachs

Hi Todd

Well that's good to know.

Should be starting to do Lpv Approachs in the big bird soon so I should find out where to insert this number in the FMS.

Thanks

Bruno

With lotsa FMS, you select the approach and the channel never shows up. It's lots easier and more error resistant that way.

Some people many, many years ago envisioned the possibility of WAAS/LPV receivers for retrofit in ancient airliners. They proposed that it should be possible to have a control head that was the same size as some of the very small VOR/ILS control heads that some older aircraft have. The only interface would be a means to select the five digit approach channel using a double-stacked knob, similar to the way VOR or ILS frequencies are selected.

I was party to some preliminary discussions with one manufacturer that was working on a prototype for such a WAAS/LPV retrofit package, but I don't think they ever finished it. I believe they concluded the market was too small to justify the development cost.

Some people many, many years ago envisioned the possibility of WAAS/LPV receivers for retrofit in ancient airliners. They proposed that it should be possible to have a control head that was the same size as some of the very small VOR/ILS control heads that some older aircraft have. The only interface would be a means to select the five digit approach channel using a double-stacked knob, similar to the way VOR or ILS frequencies are selected.

I was party to some preliminary discussions with one manufacturer that was working on a prototype for such a WAAS/LPV retrofit package, but I don't think they ever finished it. I believe they concluded the market was too small to justify the development cost.

Ahh yes....I remember that. Thanks for making me feel old :D

I remember the company I worked for in 1989 purchased an S-76B and one of the options we put on it was an "MLS" system. It wasn't installed completely, but the primus (maybe Sperry back then) had a combination of buttons to get you into the screen. We would somehow get it in MLS mode and not be able to get it back out :eek:

I guess that was the precursor for LPV....???