Little Bear

I'm New Here
I recently purchased a airmap 2000c, and have a question regarding a topographic overlay.

My 2000c came with the Jeppeson america's database card. I would like to install the mapcreate 6.3 canada topo into the unit.

Here is my question. As this comes as another MMC card do I lose my Jeppeson data when I switch the cards out? Will the new data overlay the existing aviation data?

Would sure appreciate any advice or information.

Yes, but...

I don't know of a way to overlay the Mapquest data on the Jep data.

If the Jep MMC card is large enough just copy your map data to it and you are good to go. You will have to switch from air data to Mapquest data in the menu though. I don't have my unit handy right now, so I don't remember the key presses to do that. Having said that, I doubt it is large enough. I haven't done this for awhile, but I previousy copied the Jep data to a 1 gig SD card that I had my Mapquest data loaded on. then, the next time I updated Jep, I just copied the download to the same 1 gig card and unlocked the data. The Mapquest data is really large, and I never got more than a few western states on the card, along with the Jep data.

Now with the new data coming in the mail, some of this may have changed, so you may need to adjust the process somewhat.

I'm in this same boat with my 2000c. I previously downloaded Jepp updates to a 1GB SD card, unlocked the update and was good to go. On that same 1GB card I had MapCreate topo data. I got about 1/3 of Canada on the 1GB card, in addition to the Jepp files. Viewing the topo data is simple - just select it as one of the layers of data visible on the screen (but turn off points of interest because they really add clutter!).

With the new technique of only being able to buy a pre-loaded card from Lowrance I guess the real question is... How big is the SD card shipped from Lowrance with the Jepp update we're purchasing? Can anybody answer this question, please, oh pretty please?

I don't know of a way to overlay the Mapquest data on the Jep data.

If the Jep MMC card is large enough just copy your map data to it and you are good to go. You will have to switch from air data to Mapquest data in the menu though. I don't have my unit handy right now, so I don't remember the key presses to do that. Having said that, I doubt it is large enough. I haven't done this for awhile, but I previousy copied the Jep data to a 1 gig SD card that I had my Mapquest data loaded on. then, the next time I updated Jep, I just copied the download to the same 1 gig card and unlocked the data. The Mapquest data is really large, and I never got more than a few western states on the card, along with the Jep data.

Now with the new data coming in the mail, some of this may have changed, so you may need to adjust the process somewhat.

I called LEI today, all they could tell me was the 2000c was compatible for the topo card, but as you mentioned also, they cautioned that there was limited space available. I'm thinking that the best thing to do for my application is to load either the topo data card or the Jeppeson depending on my most pressing requirement at the time. It would be a hasstle to change out the cards but I would still be able to access the information needed without having to have a second unit.

I'm in this same boat with my 2000c. I previously downloaded Jepp updates to a 1GB SD card, unlocked the update and was good to go. On that same 1GB card I had MapCreate topo data. I got about 1/3 of Canada on the 1GB card, in addition to the Jepp files. Viewing the topo data is simple - just select it as one of the layers of data visible on the screen (but turn off points of interest because they really add clutter!).

With the new technique of only being able to buy a pre-loaded card from Lowrance I guess the real question is... How big is the SD card shipped from Lowrance with the Jepp update we're purchasing? Can anybody answer this question, please, oh pretty please?

Were you able to choose which data on the topo that you were able to put on the SD card along with the Jeppeson data?
On another note I noticed on the LEI web page today that Jepp. updates are only available till the end of July this year.

Also

There is an option to get the Jep data on a 1 gig card for a higher price. That might solve some of your prob of not enough space. Didn't know you could combine the Jep and Mapquest though. Good to know.

Little Bear

Try copying both to a new 2 gig card and see if you can access that way. The old way was to format the card with the card reader thingy that came with the 2000C, but you had a limit of just 5 cards you could format to be accepted by the unit. If you can do that, the worst you would have is to have to switch on air data for flying, and auto data for the topo, instead of switching out cards. But...an earlier post seems to indicate that turning on a topo layer can give you both, if I am interpreting correctly. I didn't know that was possible.

Good luck.