Leonard_Smith_nz

All,

I've panel mounted my Airmap 1000. As one would 'reasonably' expect I cut off the cigarette lighter connector and plumbed the power straight into the 12V supply (with a breaker for protection).

This morning I read that the unit requires 6 Volts DC and that my (by now long since) discarded cigarette lighter unit actually contains an internal voltage regulator. This has come as a bit of a surprise to me as the Garmin units that I've worked with in the past accepts 12-32 VDC (from memory).

Anyone here tried the Airmap 1000 directly off 12V? Does it have internal protection?

Bugger.....

Regards,
Leonard
RV6 in New Zealand

Power for Airmap 1000

Anyone here tried the Airmap 1000 directly off 12V? Does it have internal protection?

Leonard,

No need to go dumpster diving for the 12v connector! :D

The Airmap 500 does indeed require 5.5vdc. But the 1000 and 2000C will accept supply voltage between 5vdc and some much higher number that I have forgotten. The 1000 internally regulates the supply to the 5.5vdc needed for the unit.

I have been operating my Airmap 1000 off the 12v aircraft buss for several months just as I did my Airmap 100 for years. I also saw the documentation on the 1000 which called for 5vdc but confirmed that 12vdc was ok with a Lowrance tech.

You will enjoy your new GPS!

Sam Buchanan