Skint

Well Known Member
This might be really dumb but this unit claims to have a Com Port, serial port connection NMEA0183 version 2.0 compatible. (I am hoping to connect it to the Dynon in the distant future when I have the cash to buy one!)

Where is this mysterious connection?

I have read all the instructions, sent e mails to Lowrance etc but to no avail.
Anyone got any information?

Many thanks.

This might be really dumb but this unit claims to have a Com Port, serial port connection NMEA0183 version 2.0 compatible. (I am hoping to connect it to the Dynon in the distant future when I have the cash to buy one!)

Many thanks.

You will probably need a special cable to connect.
I did, to drive my EZPilot.
I believe it was the NMEA0183 format.
BTW, one downside of the 2000c is that they do not display private airports.

Cable

Many thanks.

They have a cable that connects to ships power and has NMEA0183 out. Connects to the same external power spot on the Lowrance that your cigarette lighter power plug goes into. It works great with the Dynon and drives the autopilot as well. Can't remember, but I think I got mine from Aircraft Spruce.

If you can't find anymore about it, PM me and I'll dig up the info and the schematic pin-outs for the cord.

I have since changed to a Garmin 396 with weather and a Grand Rapids EFIS.

Many thanks.

Here is what you need:

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/detail.asp?id=4091

This data/power cable is listed for the Airmap 100 but it works perfectly for the 1000/2000C as well. The pinouts are the same on all these units. You can pull 12vdc power off your avionics bus and send it to the unit via the cable and use the white wire for the NMEA send to the Dynon. Work through the GPS setup menu and make sure NMEA is turned on and the Airmap and Dynon should begin a wonderful relationship.

Data Cable

Yep! The data cable that Sam listed is all you need. It has a formed plug on the GPS end, and bare wires on the other end. My Lowrance 2000c is on a Ram mount above my left knee (RV-7), with the data/power cable dangling out from the panel.

Behind the panel, it connects to fused 12V+ / GND, and also to a two place terminal board for serial data out and data ground. From the terminal board, I use the data signal from the GPS to drive my Dynon EFIS, my EZ Pilot autopilot, and my APRS transmitter. You can hook up as many data devices to this terminal board as you want.

Make sure your Dynon is set up to output a NMEA sentence to the data output.

works great feeding Dynon and Trio EZ-Pilot

I used data cable as described by Sam and it works very well. 2000C is powered by wiring to ship's power (via fuse block) and the gps output stream feeds both the Dynon and my EZ-Pilot roll axis autopilot.

Panel shot:

n731ck-2.jpg

Switch setup I used for going between SL-30 and Lowrance 2000C inputs to the Dynon is described at this link:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg4.htm#photo2

Chris

Chris - I wanted to mount my 2000c as you have but couldn't come up with a way to make it portable. Hangar security is questionable and I'd hate to have somebody tempted enough by my pretty GPS to damage my airplane trying to steal it, hence the desire to remove it from the airplane.

Is yours easily removeable? If so I'd very much like to know how you've mounted it. Heck, I'd still like to hear how you've mounted it. Very nice panel you have there!

data cable

Here is what you need:

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/detail.asp?id=4091

This data/power cable is listed for the Airmap 100 but it works perfectly for the 1000/2000C as well. The pinouts are the same on all these units. You can pull 12vdc power off your avionics bus and send it to the unit via the cable and use the white wire for the NMEA send to the Dynon. Work through the GPS setup menu and make sure NMEA is turned on and the Airmap and Dynon should begin a wonderful relationship.

Sam,
I bought the cable you referred to thru Gulf Coast Avioncis. It came with six wires even though the diagram on the back of the package shows only four. It lists the red as power, the black as ground, and the white as transmit, and green recieve. I hooked it up all except green and it does nothing. It will not even power my Lowrance. So, I checked the pins on the cable end as compared to my cigarette lighter cable end and there is no power thru the red cable. Now, what? Do you suppose they packed the wrong cable in the right box? I just can't believe how much trouble this has been to simply power up the unit and connect to the ADI II. Its an NDC-2 saying NMEA/DGPS adapter cable 101-36. That is the right cable isn't it?
Jim Stoops

data cable

Yep! The data cable that Sam listed is all you need. It has a formed plug on the GPS end, and bare wires on the other end. My Lowrance 2000c is on a Ram mount above my left knee (RV-7), with the data/power cable dangling out from the panel.

Behind the panel, it connects to fused 12V+ / GND, and also to a two place terminal board for serial data out and data ground. From the terminal board, I use the data signal from the GPS to drive my Dynon EFIS, my EZ Pilot autopilot, and my APRS transmitter. You can hook up as many data devices to this terminal board as you want.

Make sure your Dynon is set up to output a NMEA sentence to the data output.

I have three choices on setup on the 2000C for NMEA, One is NMEA input, one is NMEA/gps output, and the other is something else. I tried all three with no avail. Also cannot get 12v thru that data cable using the red and black wires. I guess I will have to wring out which wires are really pwr and grd tommorrow.
Jim

It's portable and functional

Jim:

I use the Lowrance 2000C with the Dynon 100, 180 and AP74. In other words, the Lowrance drives the auto pilot, and it does it quite well. Occasionally, the 2000C loses the GPS signal, but the Dynon alerts you with a red warning. All you have to do is hit NAV again, and the A/P resumes nav.

finishedpanel.jpg

To make it somewhat portable, I welded together a special bracket that bolts to the the rear of the Lowrance. The Lowr attaches to the panel via a large wing nut. When I want to remove the 2000C, I reach under the panel, spin off the large wing nut, and the Lowrance comes out thru the front.

If you need any assistance, send me a p.m. and we can talk.

data cable

Yes, everyone who uses it says it works great. Hope I can get there. I am just having problems getting the right wiring together. The cable I picked up is not wired like the box diagram, so I will just wring out the wiring to get that right hopefully. I set both baud rates at 9600 and now to get the right NMEA data in the setup mode on the Lowrance.
I like your panel setup. I am now building a new panel and intend to put the 2000C like yours but on the left of the Dynon. But, thats a winter project.
Thanks,
Jim

Yes, everyone who uses it says it works great. Hope I can get there. I am just having problems getting the right wiring together. The cable I picked up is not wired like the box diagram, so I will just wring out the wiring to get that right hopefully. I set both baud rates at 9600 and now to get the right NMEA data in the setup mode on the Lowrance.
I like your panel setup. I am now building a new panel and intend to put the 2000C like yours but on the left of the Dynon. But, thats a winter project.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim, use baud rates of 4800. Not sure why your cable isn't working yet, but ringing the pinouts should show you how to get everything hooked up.

Sam, question on baud rate

Jim, use baud rates of 4800.

Sam,

Admittedly, the volume of data moved from the 2000C to the Dynon is insignificant so any baud rate should be more than enough to keep them abreast.

Why did you recommend 4800 instead of 9600? Did you experience a higher failure rate at 9600?

In my 375nm XC Tucson / Long Beach trips, I lose the gps signal 1 or 2 times. The Lowr antenna is on the wind screen, unobstructed other than the slider canopy bar.

Pls comment if you had a similar circumstance that was resolved with a lower baud rate.

Barry
Tucson

Sam,

Admittedly, the volume of data moved from the 2000C to the Dynon is insignificant so any baud rate should be more than enough to keep them abreast.

Why did you recommend 4800 instead of 9600? Did you experience a higher failure rate at 9600?

In my 375nm XC Tucson / Long Beach trips, I lose the gps signal 1 or 2 times. The Lowr antenna is on the wind screen, unobstructed other than the slider canopy bar.

Pls comment if you had a similar circumstance that was resolved with a lower baud rate.

Barry
Tucson

With the various GPS's and related equipment I have used over the years, 4800 seems to be recommended the most. It is easy to experiment with different baud rates........so use whatever works best for you. :)

data cable

Well, I found out the cable I got had a bad molded plug on it. I could only get 4.55v out of it from the bus bar, so that is why it would not even fire up. Well after ordering a new cable again, I hooked it up using the cigarette lighter cable direct wired to the bus. OK. One problem solved I thought. I flew it today and now the gps does not work. (Its new out of the box, although #2, since #1 arrived broken) It did not leave my departure spot the entire flight. So now to figure that one out. Probably operator error but I have used fifty gps's in my life and thought could use the 2000C. I even read the book first but it does not respond to book directions. So, after 2 1/2days still no gps or autopilot. I set the baud rate at 9600 because I am pretty sure it called for it in the ADI II manual.

data cable

Oh, one other thing, even though I have it powered up with ships power, I keep getting a low battery signal. Its like it is really operating on the batteries which only last about 1.5 hrs. Do you get that signal on ships power?
Jim

data cable

After too days, the lowrance finally found itself. Seems awfully long to me.
I should have bought the 1000. As soon as I turned on the 2000 in the cockpit, it thought it was still off. Could not see anything with my sunglasses on. With clear glasses, I could just barely see it. Darn glare. I had no idea it would be that bad. Oh well, another lesson learned.

Hmmm...

I have a 2000C in my RV and can see it just fine with or without sunglasses. It is plenty bright. I have it mounted on the right side of the panel angled toward me. Never had a problem with glare.

I seem to remember that there was a brightness and contrast adjustment when I set it up

Exactly...

My Lowrance has been the most user friendly GPS I've ever used. No glare issue... they are adjustable, I love the large vertical screen.

Chris - I wanted to mount my 2000c as you have but couldn't come up with a way to make it portable. Hangar security is questionable and I'd hate to have somebody tempted enough by my pretty GPS to damage my airplane trying to steal it, hence the desire to remove it from the airplane.

Is yours easily removeable? If so I'd very much like to know how you've mounted it. Heck, I'd still like to hear how you've mounted it. Very nice panel you have there!

Sorry about the delayed response but I missed the question until this thread popped back up recently. In any case, a close up picture and description of the 2000C mounting bracket I made is on my web site at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg5.htm#photo5

I used the two threaded holes in the 2000C that the RAM mount ball fixture bolts to with the supplied thumbscrews and attach the GPS to my fixture with those thumbscrews except that I replaced the original plastic thumbscrews with metal ones. I found that I had to use some locktite on the threads to keep flight vibrations from loosening them, but the mount works great and leaves the gps easily removed when I want to. Also leaves it fairly easy to remove and steal, but that's true of the radio stack too for anybody with the right size allen wrench....

Photo of the mount:

GPSmount001.JPG

Installed 2000C GPS:

n731ck-2.jpg

finished panel page:
http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg4.htm

After too days, the lowrance finally found itself. Seems awfully long to me.
I should have bought the 1000. As soon as I turned on the 2000 in the cockpit, it thought it was still off. Could not see anything with my sunglasses on. With clear glasses, I could just barely see it. Darn glare. I had no idea it would be that bad. Oh well, another lesson learned.

I'm with "Life of Reilly"! You have something wrong, wiring or something else.
The 2000C is a much better unit than the 1000, switching to a greyscale unit will probably not clear up the problem you are experiencing. Don't let your frustration embark on bad press for an outstanding unit. You say you can't see it when it powers on, have you checked your settings to see what the brightness and contrast are set on?

data cable

Mike,
I am not badmouthing anything or anyone. Just a little frustrated. I did get a new cable and its hooked up, but still cannot seem to get any response on the TT ADI II. (white wire to the AP) I went to 4800 baud rate from 9600 with no change. Tried all the NMEA settings on the Comm Port with no response. The book says if gps signal is present, the AP should show magnetic heading (which it does not). I am wondering just what I am missing. I know its a setting of some sort. The lowrance handbook is very vague on this. Just says to set the NMEA setting you want, the problem is I don't kinow which one I want. I tried them all. I'll just call Lowrance tomorrow and ask them.
Thanks for the help, Jim

They have a cable that connects to ships power and has NMEA0183 out. Connects to the same external power spot on the Lowrance that your cigarette lighter power plug goes into. It works great with the Dynon and drives the autopilot as well. Can't remember, but I think I got mine from Aircraft Spruce.

If you can't find anymore about it, PM me and I'll dig up the info and the schematic pin-outs for the cord.

I have since changed to a Garmin 396 with weather and a Grand Rapids EFIS.

I have the Lowrance 2000C and just added a TruTrack EFIS with AP and cannot find the data cable anywhere- it has been discontinued. Could anybdoy help me with the pin out info so I can make my own using the 12 V regular power cord that came with the unit?
Anybody know where to possibly get this data cable?
Thanks so much!

Chris Bowles
Taylorsville,NC