aeroaddict

Well Known Member
I'm out of things to do before the finishing kit arrives, but I do have a lot of parts to prime.

Being it's still February, what is the lowest temperature that the SW P60G2 primer be applied? I searched but really couldn't find any information other than the industry standard stuff.

The hanger is heated and I usually use about 60 degrees F when working, but not sure this is adequate for good adhesion if I were to prime at this temp.

Any ideas on what is the lowest temp for spraying the SW P60G2 primer?

Temp

I'm out of things to do before the finishing kit arrives, but I do have a lot of parts to prime.

Being it's still February, what is the lowest temperature that the SW P60G2 primer be applied? I searched but really couldn't find any information other than the industry standard stuff.

The hanger is heated and I usually use about 60 degrees F when working, but not sure this is adequate for good adhesion if I were to prime at this temp.

Any ideas on what is the lowest temp for spraying the SW P60G2 primer?

Kinda depends on the parts but 60 is totally fine. I'm building in the mountains at 7,500' and sprayed P60G2 many times down to 50 and below. My spray booth is my storage building. Prep everything inside. Open the shop just long enough to haul parts out and spray then back inside. Below that I usually set up a temporary spray booth in the garage. I keep it at 60 while working so not much warmer.
P60G2 sets up really quick. I bet it can be sprayed much cooler.
I do know it doesn't like rain and snow.
PM or e-mail if you need tips. Mix it 1 part primer to 2 parts catalyst. Love the stuff.

Just about every paint produced has a data sheet that includes this information. You can often find it on the mfg website or from a distributor.

Many epoxy primers have big problems below 60* The epoxy primer that I use (SPI) MUST be kept above 60* for 12-24 hours or it will go dormant and cause major problems. Be sure to get this right if this is the primer for your final paint job as the primer represent the foundation and if done wrong will ruin the whole paint job. If just priming interior surfaces/parts for corrosion protection, not so big of a deal.

also, the temp you care about is the temp of the parts, not necessarily the air temp. You can spray in a bit colder temps to keep the air moving if the parts were the correct temp at the start and after spraying. I have painted several cars in the winter. It's just more work keeping everything warm

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Larry's

Hence my question as I did search quite a bit but couldn't find any 'application guidelines'. The MSDS has a drying time based on a specific temperature and RH but not a temp range for application.

I do plan on 'pre-heating' the parts as the air temp may be 60F but the parts may not be 60F, then returning the parts to the pre-heat area to dry/cure.

P60G2

Hence my question as I did search quite a bit but couldn't find any 'application guidelines'. The MSDS has a drying time based on a specific temperature and RH but not a temp range for application.

I do plan on 'pre-heating' the parts as the air temp may be 60F but the parts may not be 60F, then returning the parts to the pre-heat area to dry/cure.

I know you didn't ask for tips but this is pretty important.

P60G2 settles. A new can has to be stirred really well before use. I use a long stirring stick to move the solids off the bottom and stir it for several minutes. A shaker won't do it. Subsequent use is not as bad but I always find thick stuff on the bottom. Wear a respirator from opening the can till the tools are clean and trash disposed.