pietermk

Well Known Member
EMP Page 6-03 Lower spar cap material removal

Hello all,

sorry to ask so many questions but I want to make sure I do it correct. it states to trim the lower spar cap by removing the material called out in Figure 1.
I have a hard time seeing how much to remove? how long and wide? The is a small circular cutout on the end, is that the starting point?

thanks

Peter

Last edited:
Need to see a page number...

Hello all,

sorry to ask so many questions but I want to make sure I do it correct. it states to trim the lower spar cap by removing the material called out in Figure 1.
I have a hard time seeing how much to remove? how long and wide? The is a small circular cutout on the end, is that the starting point?

thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,
Hey, if you would put the plans page number in the title of your thread we could find where you are easily, and it also then makes a searchable record that can easily be found later by others having the same question ;).

Tony

Page EMP 6-03 Step 1

Hi Peter,
Hey, if you would put the plans page number in the title of your thread we could find where you are easily, and it also then makes a searchable record that can easily be found later by others having the same question ;).

Tony

you are correct Tony, it is page 6-03 step 1

see a picture that shows the circular cut out if refer too here

thanks Tony

Holy ****! I totally missed that portion of the build, and did not do it. I think I was not sure of what they meant at the time, and forgot it later. I GOT to do more double checking.
Now that I am done with that, I fail to see so far what effect it will have on the final process, except some inspector saying I did not remove that portion. Am I am trouble now? What is the purpose of that alteration? I can drill out all those rivets I guess if I absolutely have to.

Weight savings

I fail to see so far what effect it will have on the final process, except some inspector saying I did not remove that portion. Am I am trouble now? What is the purpose of that alteration? I can drill out all those rivets I guess if I absolutely have to.
My guess is that removing material saves weight. You could rationalize and say that little bit of weight is not going to hurt anything. On the other hand, if you do not set high standards and build exactly according to plans, how confident are you going to be in your aircraft during first flight? Then again, sometimes you do more harm than good by drilling out rivets. So it is your call. Or you could call Van's support and ask their advice. I doubt that an inspector will notice those parts. If you intend to register as E-LSA, you will be committing perjury by saying you built the RV-12 exactly according to plans. When faced with a decision like this, I ask myself what is best in the long run, not what is easiest right now.
Joe

Don, I think you should email or call Van's tech support about this. They should know for sure if this would be an issue or not. If you do it by email you also have it in writing that the deviation from the plans was approved if they say so.
Personally I think this is just a weight reduction but what do I know...

Avoiding Discontinuities in Structure

Usually when spar reinforcements taper off at the ends, the intention is to avoid an abrupt change in the flexibility of the part as you move spanwise. That can lead to a local stress concentration. I can't say whether this part in particular is susceptible to that, but it's certainly best practice to do what the manual says when you're dealing with primary structure! If it were my VS I would fix it.

it is ok as is

Usually when spar reinforcements taper off at the ends, the intention is to avoid an abrupt change in the flexibility of the part as you move spanwise. That can lead to a local stress concentration. I can't say whether this part in particular is susceptible to that, but it's certainly best practice to do what the manual says when you're dealing with primary structure! If it were my VS I would fix it.

Alex,s statement is true
However the stab failing above the doubler is not possible.

You will do more damage to the stab trying to fix it

The V Stab is Fine the way it is and should not be repaired

Joe Gorse has the right answer
and I'm sure Van's will think it is OK

Last edited:
Excellent advice, thanks. I will do that and then follow their instructions.

Don, I think you should email or call Van's tech support about this. They should know for sure if this would be an issue or not. If you do it by email you also have it in writing that the deviation from the plans was approved if they say so.
Personally I think this is just a weight reduction but what do I know...

Vans says it is OK to leave it there without the trimming called out in the plans, I got that in an email so will attach to my plans in case some sharp eyed person questions it later..