rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Just about ready to start riveting the lower outboard skins on my RV10 QB. Looking at the manual procedure and it seems to be illogical where they say to start and how to proceed. It would seem to be very hard to buck like this. I'm thinking to start at the outboard flap hinge point and work outboard, then inboard, allowing bucking access by rolling the skin open. This is the way my 6A was done and it worked well. How did others proceed with this step?

Ross, I did not build a -10, but I riveted my bottom skins on my 9A single handed using the method described here.

More information at: this page.

There may be some ideas for you that can help.

Vern

Yes this is about how I was thinking of doing it too. It would seem to allow much easier access without slicing and dicing ones arm working from the TE to the spar as Van's suggests.

Bottom Wing Skin

I would follow the plans, I did not do it on the first wing and had to use some pop rivets to complete the wing. A couple of rivets on the forward edge in the first third of the skin were inpossible to get to.

Ross,
We did the right wing last week. We followed the plans except for the last few outboard ribs. It worked the way they have it in the plans. What made ours a PITA was the fact that we put sealant down between the ribs, spar and skins. It was messy but we got it done. Still have to do the left wing though! We were busy getting the new engine to run smoother, which we did.

I followed the plans for my slow build wings, and did the skins without any assistance. A couple of the rivets were just at my limit to reach with the bar and the gun.

I recommend a couple of pieces of foam to cushion the arms in the wing.

I followed the plans on my slow build wings and it worked out fine. I have short arms though, so I had to have a helper for most of it. There's no way I could have done it by myself.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Thanks! the pix are great and worth a thousand words as they say. I'll do it Van's way. The wires are a great idea too. I'll be banging rivets tonight!

Gotta love this forum. :)