tracy

Well Known Member
Friend
I am curious as to why my already completed 8 does not have the extended lower inboard flap skin that butts against the bottom of fuselage. What is the skin for? I also notice the the flap rod is connected to flap with only a ball joint connection and no screw holding it like I've seen on others. Has this joint ever separated? Thanks

Last edited:
Tracy,
The extended skin on the flap is just to make a fairing between the flap and fuselage when the flaps are retracted. I don't think I've ever seen two alike. My guess is that the builder just cut it off for some reason. Probably no big deal. The rod end on the flap linkage is the type where the bolt is "made" into the ball. I've never heard of a failure but I'm sure it can or has happened.

Thanks Jim, the builder has built several of these so I guess he had a good reason to leave it off. I need to replace the friction tape on the flaps and was trying to figure the best way to drop them all the way down. Disconnect the motor or can the ball joints be separated?

Disconnect at the motor. As I recall I had to make a "special" wrench to get to the nut at the flap end of the rod. My kit did not have the nut plate on the flap (like some newer ones do) so I had to bend a wrench to get to the nut behind the rib for tightening.

You might also consider putting the friction tape on the under side of the wing skin instead of on the flap. Same result but it is out of sight.

Ok, I may do that. It all depends on how the paint looks after the tape is removed.