Cfrisella

Well Known Member
Just a thought, but has anyone seen the lower cowl on a 7A (no scoop) split into two halfs. I think this would allow its removal easier with a 3 blade prop. There would be six or so more fasteners but then only a quarter could be removed if needed.

Don't know if it would help in your case or not, but the RV-6 I just bought has the intake scoop as a separate piece. It screws on with platenuts (I will probably change them to southco fasteners) and removing it makes it a lot easier to drop the lower cowling half.

Chris, why not split the entire cowl down the middle and keep it two pieces? ;) If you don't have one made up in CF by my next visit I'll be disappointed:p

Just a thought, but has anyone seen the lower cowl on a 7A (no scoop) split into two halfs. I think this would allow its removal easier with a 3 blade prop. There would be six or so more fasteners but then only a quarter could be removed if needed.

I am imagining the cowl split as you suggest. Unless it could be removed sideways rather than down and forward, it won't make things better with the 3 blade prop. It seems to me the cowl will not move sideways because of the intake restriction. It would still have to move down and forward first, but then it might be removed by bringing the aft end out sideways. Interesting idea.

I agree, removing the bottom cowl is a pain in the putush with a 3 blade prop. I wrap the prop blades with heavy paper to minimize scraping and also wrap the NG strut to keep the paint from damage when the cowl slides forward. If I had to do it over, I would order the Catto 2 blade, I don't think performance would have any different.

prop?

Yikes! :eek: I'll take the wrath and sugest getting rid of the 3-blade prop and go with the improved performance of a 2- blade prop and keep the cowl as it is.