prkaye

Well Known Member
For the lower cowl with the snorkel, the snorkel is at the front of a wide channel in the bottom of the lower cowl that ends on the aft side with a big opening where this portion of the cowl sits about 3.5" below the lower firewall flange. It looks from what I can see on the plans that this just gets left open? I.e. that you can look through the snorkel and see through out this wide gap in the back of the lower cowl. Is this correct?

lower cowl answer

Yes Phil this is correct. When I saw your Q I run down to the shop to look through the snorkel. That's exactly what I saw:)
There will be complex bracket in the middle of that opening. Will need some time and dozen tries to figure out how to do that bend. When filtered airbox is finished, nothing can be seen through that snorkel.

The Snout?

I know this is just a terminology post Phil, and maybe I'm the only one that sees it that way, but I think that you're talking about the lower cowl with eh "snout" - right? The "snorkel" is a term usually reserved for the "smooth" lower cowl (with no holes or snout) because it actually has a "snorkel" that goes from the forward-facing intake up and to the front side of the engine where the air filter sits in the port-side cooling ramp.

But to answer your question directly, if you are talking about the standard cowl with a snout, yes - until you install the air box, you can see right out the back side on the belly. The exhaust pies and cooling air will exit through that slot.

Paul

I know this is just a terminology post Phil, and maybe I'm the only one that sees it that way, but I think that you're talking about the lower cowl with eh "snout" - right? The "snorkel" is a term usually reserved for the "smooth" lower cowl (with no holes or snout) because it actually has a "snorkel" that goes from the forward-facing intake up and to the front side of the engine where the air filter sits in the port-side cooling ramp.

But to answer your question directly, if you are talking about the standard cowl with a snout, yes - until you install the air box, you can see right out the back side on the belly. The exhaust pies and cooling air will exit through that slot.

Paul

I was also confused until Paul pointed out what you must be talking about.
This particular part of the cowl is normally referred to as the induction scoop.

Personally I would like to hear more about Paul's engine installation...if I could get exhaust pies to come out of my cowl exit, strafing runs on EAA chapter fly-in pot-lucks would be very popular :p

Last edited:
Personally I would like to here more about Paul's engine installation...if I could get exhaust pies to come out of my cowl exit, strafing runs on EAA chapter fly-in pot-lucks would be very popular :p

Exhaust pies would be a lot more fun than the ol' flour bags! I'm with Scott...Paul, how'd you engineer that!?! Nyuk, Nyuk! :p

Phil, sounds like you're moving along quite well!! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Ah, ok yes I was talking about the "snout" on my cowl for my carbeurated engine.
Thanks guys!

I was also confused until Paul pointed out what you must be talking about.
This particular part of the cowl is normally referred to as the induction scoop.

Personally I would like to hear more about Paul's engine installation...if I could get exhaust pies to come out of my cowl exit, strafing runs on EAA chapter fly-in pot-lucks would be very popular :p
I guess Paul's spell checker does not stand out when you are looking at the world through rose colored glasses..............:eek:

But then........... pies is spelled correctly..........:cool: