idleup

Well Known Member
I talked to Jeff at Airplastics regarding replacing my cracked canopy. He mentioned that I could get a Low UV Canopy to replace the standard one vans sells. I was wondering if anyone has one of these and what your thought are on it. Also, if I replace just the tip up will it match my back window?

I just ordered mine...

I just placed the order for my finish kit and ordered the SC-15 canopy. According to Darrel at Vans it should be drop shipped from Airplane Plastics in mid March. Here is another thread on the canopy along with
some test results from it versus the standard canopy. Good stuff and only a couple hundred bucks more.
It is supposed to match the standard canopy tint so it should match your rear window.
The quote from Bill Mclean when he tested it was "leave the sunscreen home, you won't need it"

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47102&highlight=sc-15

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread here. Any current feedback on the uv resistant canopy? In particular, would you consider it to lower cockpit temperatures to a comparable love to the more tinted canopies? Life in Arizona demands some sort of relief! Just trying to decide which way to go for the canopy on my -8.

I have it in my RV-9A. It is great not to get sunburned. I'm not sure it keeps the temps any cooler, but after a long day of flying under clear skies I don't have any feeling like I've been under the sun all day. I'm fair skinned and prone to skin cancers, so it is a good extra measure against getting sunburned. The downside is that my glasses with transition lenses don't darken up unless there is UV.

Is this UV canopy an option from Vans? If so, does anyone here know when it became available? I don't recall any options and wonder how I missed it.

Bevan

You have to request it. Airplane plastics, the canopy manufacturer that van's uses, has 3 options. 2515 is the normal lightly tinted, sc-15 which looks the same but has the additional uv resistance, and 2514 which is a darker tint. They may have more, those are all I know of.