Orwick

I'm New Here
I have been reading a wealth of information on this site since Sept. and bought a RV 8A in Oct. I live in Minnesota and flew yesterday OAT was 15 degrees F. I installed a Vans shutter door for the oil cooler and had it shut yesterday and oil temp only went to 150 degrees. Wanting any info. on ways to get higher oil temp. Should I be concerned with that low of temp? It lives in a heated hangar, running Phillips 20W50.

Bryce

Did you have the oil shutter door closed? ;) (kidding)

What engine are you running? 150f oil temps seems cold for me.

Last edited:
Temps Aren't Out of Line

Bryce:
While I don't have a shutter (yet), I get ready for winter by fastening a plate on the back of the cooler and use aluminum tape over the front face. In spite of the near total blockage, I saw temps holding below 160 for a couple of flights last week when the ground OAT was in the teens. Pretty much my experience over the past seven winters. At the same time, summer temperatures with the cooler faces open really don't get above 185/190 very often. While I don't lean very aggressively, the temps aren't out of line with other friends either.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I'm in about the same stage as you, been flying my plane since September. About the coldest I have flown was 10 F OAT and my oil temp stayed just below 160 F as well. At that time I had the front face of the oil cooler blocked 75% with aluminum tape.

I have since installed the oil cooler shutter and flew in 40 F OAT and only saw 180 F oil temp with the shutter completely closed. Their seems to be a wide range of oil temps from one engine to another. Variables like the manufacture of your cylinders, how well your baffling is sealed all make a difference. Obviously OAT makes a big difference as well.

Thanks guys, nice to know what others are seeing for temps. I'm just going to change the oil sooner and should be fine.

Neal, I did see your install of the servo door, looks nice!

Bryce

If weather permits....

... and I have smooth air, I will open her up to 2590rpm WOT, down low. If it is below 30 degrees f. that is the only way I can get the 180deg mark with the shutter fully closed in winter. If it is below 20, cant even get there.
I can see VNE on my 6 doing this so I have to be careful but that should not be an issue with the higher VNE of the 8.
Aerosport IO-360, Vans standard cooler.

Im running the exact same engine you are in my -8. Even with the 3" oil cooler inlet blocked 75% I only saw 185F during 95 degree summer days last August when flying slow at high power. During level WOT flight OT dropped to 170's even in summer. I tested and calibrated my OT probe using boiling water so I know it is good.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to these engines , so excuse my ignorance . I know it's commonly done but why does blocking off the oil cooler bring the oil temp up in colder ambient temps ? I thought no oil went through the oil cooler until the Vernatherm reached around 180 deg (?) .

Marc

Even when the vernatherm is cold and fully retracted, there is always still some amount of oil circulating thru the cooler when the engine is running.