dromuald

Looking for a sanity check on my analysis. I have an RV8 with an IO360A1B6D that was originally in a Cardinal. After reading several articles about oil I noticed that the recommended minimum operating temp is 180. Yestereday with inflight temps around 40F I noticed my oil temp was around 140 in cruise. I recall earlier this year typically seeing around 160 during the warmer temps in the summer. My CHTs are typically in the high 290s to mid 300s as a general rule. I am running Aeroshell 15 W-50 due to my location in WI. I believe there is a Vernatherm in this system. As I understand it the designed operation is for the valve to expand as the oil temperature approaches 150, closing the return to the engine and forcing oil through the cooler. I see plenty of posts for high oil temp where it is recommended to see if the Vernatherm is expanding. Is there a failure mode of failing to contract, and therefore allowing oil to continually flow through the cooler? This would seem to explain my lower oil temp as the OAT decreases, and the inability of the system to reach 180 degrees.

My first step will be to verify that my cockpit oil temp indication is accurate; I was thinking the next step is to pull the Vernatherm and check it's operation. Is there anything I am missing or should investigate. Thanks