oliverj1

I'm New Here
Hi all, I have a superior IO-360 engine with van's oil temp gauge. The oil temp reads 130 to 140 max and around 80 to 100 on the ground. EGT and CHT are within limits. Someone suggested that the vans' adapter on the oil probe may be preventing the probe from getting low enough into the oil stream to give a good reading. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, has anyone tried using a different type of probe with van's oil temp gauge that makes the adapter under the probe unnecessary?

Thanks for your help,
Joe sends

Oil Cooler Baffle

Joe
Now that winter is here, you might need to construct something like this.
I have a IO-360 Superior, and this past weekend here in the North East I closed the oil intake air about 50% and got a oil temp rise of about 25'F which was needed.

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM
Sorry about the poor shot, but the placard says "PULL TO COOL" at the bottom.
Jack

Last edited:
Low oil temp

Jack,

Did you fab or purchase that adjustable air valve and curved hose connection? I like you're set-up. Also, what cooler did you use and what dia. hose?

Thanks,

Tom, Superior IO360 -7A

Jack,

Did you fab or purchase that adjustable air valve and curved hose connection? I like you're set-up. Also, what cooler did you use and what dia. hose?

Thanks,

Tom, Superior IO360 -7A
Tom
I fabricated the slide and the housing from scrap material.
The hose I got from my neighbor who just happened to have it. It's 3 inch.
The "choke cable" was an extra alternate air push pull cable from Van's that I had.
If you're referring to the curved section coming off the baffle, it's just something we fabricated.
I'm a firm believer in no mounting the oil cooler to the baffles. I believe it puts too much strain on them.
The oil cooler is Van's.
Found some construction shots

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

I hope this is of some help to you
Jack

Last edited:
low oil temp

Jack,
Looks great! Where did you get your inlet and outlet flanges? Vans offers a couple of coolers, a single row and a double row. Did you use the one that Vans' recommends for the IO360?

Tom

Jack,
Looks great! Where did you get your inlet and outlet flanges? Vans offers a couple of coolers, a single row and a double row. Did you use the one that Vans' recommends for the IO360?

Tom
Tom
You're taxing my dwindling memory cells.
I believe I got the flanges from Van's.
As for the cooler, I ordered the FireWall Forward kit for the 10-360, and that's the cooler that came with it.
I decided to make the hole in the baffle for the cooling air feed at 2.500", even though the scat hose was 3.000". This would allow me to open up the hole to whatever gave me the proper oil temperature.
The 2.500" opening seemed to work fine this summer. The max I saw was 203' f, and that's well within the limits quoted to me by the engine builder.
If I were to do it over again, I would have made the opening 3.000 " and built and installed the adjustable valve at the beginning, not as an afterthought last month. That would give me more control in higher ambient temps.
I can still open up the existing 2.500" hole now a little if I have to.
I'll worry about that next summer, or on the way to Sun n Fun this April.
Jack

Joe:
Calibrate your temp gage before anything else. Remove your probe place it in a can of oil and heat with a solder iron. Make sure the probe is not touching anything. Compare it with a known thermometer.
Al