Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
On startup my engine oil pressure is in the mid to low 70's. AT cruise on a normal North texas summer day my oil temp will be in the 205 to 210 range, CHT's in the low 300's and EGT's leaned to around 1300. The issue is oil pressure drops to 58 to 60 PSI. This seems low to me also the startup pressure also seems low. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The engine is a ECI 0360A1A with 85 hrs since new.

Thanks,

Pat Stewart
N184PS RV8A

O360-A1A readings

Pat

I don't have the ECI engine so I don't know if this will help.

I have a new Lycoming O360-A1A. TTSN = 100 hours. Been flying for a year in North Texas with you. I don't recall my startup oil pressure other than to check that it has pressure and is building. During cruise flight, oil pressure is 78-80 psi. Oil temps at cruise are 175-185 (actually on the low but acceptable end of the range Lycoming calls for). I lean to EGT and try to keep the hottest cyclinder below 1350. That puts my CHT in the low 300s. I'm burning about 9 gph at cruise. These readings have been the same from first flight to now.

Chris

Low Oil pressure

Thanks Chris, sounds like we are pretty close on everything put pressure. When I pull the power back to cruise my oil temp will be in the 190/195 range (except on those hot afternoons)When my engine was bench run at ECI presessure was 80 however I also understand that it can change based on oil coolers after installation. I have the Stewart/Warner type which is a fairly good size cooler. Im wandering if I need to adjust the pressure in the engine.

Thanks,

Pat

Yes Pat, I think you should adjust it. Target oil pressure for the "middle of the green" is 75 psi. Oil pressure limits are:
25 psi at idle
Cruise is 55-95 psi
Max is 115 psi
Adjust for 60 psi at 1400 RPM on the ground with 140 plus oil temp and it should land at 75 psi, in cruise, once airborne and up to temperature.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

I did some testing today and the following is what i found.

I adjusted the oil pressure one full turn in and here is how it came out.

RPM's 700 start
Oilt Temp 100
Oil pressure 55

RPM's 1500
Oilt Temp 103
Oil pressure 69

RPM's 2000 2000 2000 2000
Oilt Temp 117 162 174
Oil pressure 72 73 67 65

RPM's 2250 2250 2250
Oilt Temp 138 169 175
Oil pressure 74 68 67

I did this on the ground. The next time I fly I will get the temps up to around 200. Previously as the temps go up the pressure has come down. 200 would produce oil pressure in the 60 psi range. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I am also using 15w50 semisynthetic aeroshell.
Thanks,

Pat

Pat, I have the ECI to..

and I could double check but normally read around 65-70 at idle when cold. Even when it's hot I don't recall it being less than around 60. I have it adjusted so at normal operating temp (which for me is 180 in the summer) it's 75psi. I am using Exon 20-50. If I were you I'd twist the adjuster up another turn or two to get it around 75 at normal temp at cruise.
Walt

Pat,
I would turn it up one more full turn and go flying, to see where it ends up.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Pat Stewart said:
I did some testing today and the following is what i found.

I adjusted the oil pressure one full turn in and here is how it came out.

RPM's 700 start
Oilt Temp 100
Oil pressure 55

RPM's 1500
Oilt Temp 103
Oil pressure 69

RPM's 2000 2000 2000 2000
Oilt Temp 117 162 174
Oil pressure 72 73 67 65

RPM's 2250 2250 2250
Oilt Temp 138 169 175
Oil pressure 74 68 67

I did this on the ground. The next time I fly I will get the temps up to around 200. Previously as the temps go up the pressure has come down. 200 would produce oil pressure in the 60 psi range. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I am also using 15w50 semisynthetic aeroshell.
Thanks,

Pat

Low oili pessure

Ok,

I adjusted and flew it twice. The pressure at oil temps from 200 to 210 is around 64 which is 4 psi higher than before. I have hit the end on the adjustment, its in all the way. This engine has cam and piston oilers, I was wondering if that has effected the oil pressure. My current question is "do I need a heavier spring in the oil pressure adjustment".

Pat

Pat Stewart said:
Ok,

I adjusted and flew it twice. The pressure at oil temps from 200 to 210 is around 64 which is 4 psi higher than before. I have hit the end on the adjustment, its in all the way. This engine has cam and piston oilers, I was wondering if that has effected the oil pressure. My current question is "do I need a heavier spring in the oil pressure adjustment".

Pat
Where are you taking your oil pressure from? Accessory case or front of engine? there will be a difference in readings between both locations.
Tom

Where?

Hi Tom,
We have an 0-360 with the same oil pressure and it's taken off the accessory case. Is it prone to indicating higher from the front of the engine? If so, where is the port?
Regards,

Pierre
The forward fitting is on the front case just ahead of the #1 (or2) cylinder. It should have an allen hex fitting (plug). As I recall the front location reads 3-5 psi lower than the accessory case fitting.
Tom
RV3

Pat
Most don't unless they get their engine hung and forget to install the OP fitting. Its a common place to install secondary op/ot sensors on a lot of GA aircraft. BTW I knew about the outlet on the acc case and figured I could install the fitting later. NOT. Removed engine, installed fitting, reinstalled engine. I'll bet I'm not the only one.
Tom
RV3

Oil Pressure Update

Update on an old post.

I still have been unable to solve my low oil pressure problem however today I tried a couple of other ideas. First I hooked up a second oil pressure gauge to a second location to verify my gauge was good. Both gauges were within 3 PSI. Next I removed the oil pressure valve planning to order a heavier spring. After removing the valve I noticed a couple of pretty good nicks in the ball seat. Im thinking this could be the problem. I will be calling the engine manufacturer tomorrow to verify. Anyone had this problem.

Thanks,

Pat Stewart
N184PS

this will cause a low pressure reading. Ask your engine builder if he can send you the seat cutter he has tucked away for just such a problem. If he doesn't have one call me I'll loan you one.

Allen Barrett
Barrett Precision Engines
(918) 835-1089

Pat Stewart said:
After removing the valve I noticed a couple of pretty good nicks in the ball seat.
It might have had a piece of debris in there, causing the ball to be held off the seat and lose a bit of oil pressure.

New Update. I talked to my friends at Americas Engines and they also confirmed the same thing that Allen barrett said. They also have put the tool I need to fix it in the mail. Thanks for the offer Allen. After I finish this repair I will post the results.

Pat Stewart

Fixed Low Oil Pressure

Hicks Runway opened this afternoon so I got a chance to fly my airplane after repairing the oil pressure valve ball seat with the cutter suplied by ECI. Pressures were great, mid 90's on take off roll, 73 with the oil temp at 200 and the valve significant adjusted out. Previously was 60 with the valve adjusted to the stop.