plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
How normal is it to have low oil pressure during low RPM taxi? I have had for the last year, oil pressure slightly in the yellow at 50 psi (start of the green arc is at 55 psi) during taxi, usually after the oil is warmed up. Always plenty of oil pressure during flight. I have been told by people at the airport (that I trust) that this is normal. This week I changed the oil and the oil pressure during taxi after landing from a 1 hour flight was more like 45 psi while taxing at 700 rpm. I increased the throttle to 1000 rpm and I was into the green. I checked the oil pressure recorded during flight and it was well into the green range for the entire flight except on taxi after landing.
I have a Lyc IO-360-B2B which now has 400 hours on it. Have any others out there gotten lower oil pressures at low rpms on the ground?

Lower OP at idle

Yes, that's expected. But the real question is, is this something that is a significant change for your plane?

Anything above 25 PSI at idle is OK, as long as the operating pressures are normal in cruise flight.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

55-95 psi is the acceptable operating limits for cruise, most typically set to 70-80 psi. Top redline is 115 psi for cold take off and as stated before, 25 is the low idle limit.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

My pressures are 49 psi idling/taxiing at ~950 rpm and 70 in cruise. I suspect the gauges have up to a 10% slop on them, so you sound about the same as I am seeing. Superior IO360 engine. I think the note above is more relevant - is this a significant change for your engine? If it is, then I might worry more about it.

my two cents.

greg