logansc

Well Known Member
I've shopped around but haven't found what I'm looking for. Anyone know where I can find a system that will trigger a cockpit warning light when my oil pressure goes below a certain threshold value (say 20 psi or so?). I have a full EDM engine monitor in my airplane (so I have a reliable oil pressure indication) but previously also had backup steam oil temp and oil pressure gauges. In my most recent panel upgrade, I don't have room for the steam gauges, but I'd still like a separate/'idiot' light style oil pressure warning indication.

I still have the old oil pressure sensor up front on the engine and the wiring installed for it. Right now, it's just not hooked to anything. Anyone know of a system that will take the signal from my sensor and trigger a warning light with it? It would be nice to be able to start the engine and see the light go out immediately along with a positive pressure indication on the EDM. And, in the unlikely event that I lost the EDM, at least I'd still have a separate way to know if I also suffered an oil pressure failure.

Thanks,

Lee...

What most people seem to do is bring the oil pressure line to a small firewall mounted manifold, where it can be shared by 2 sensors. One sensor is just a 15 or so psi activated switch with NC & NO contacts. This is for an annunciator light.

Last edited:
Thanks GrayHawk... I found what I was looking for. Searching using the wrong terminology. Ordered Van's oil pressure switch.

Lee...

Oil quantity

This is not exactly what you're asking for but if it's redundancy you're after, why not a different type of warning. Namely, oil quantity. This may be considered an advanced warning of immenent oil pressure loss if the reason you will lose oil pressure is because you're losing oil. See...

http://www.aircraftextras.com/LowOilSensor.htm

Bevan

This is not exactly what you're asking for but if it's redundancy you're after, why not a different type of warning. Namely, oil quantity. This may be considered an advanced warning of immenent oil pressure loss if the reason you will lose oil pressure is because you're losing oil. See...

http://www.aircraftextras.com/LowOilSensor.htm

Bevan

Save your money. I tried their old sensor, tried their new sensor. Was told to balance prop. I did, down to no out of balance. Still did not work on any consistent basis. Just a red light to come on whenever to alarm you. I took mine out.

I still have the old oil pressure sensor up front on the engine and the wiring installed for it. Right now, it's just not hooked to anything. Anyone know of a system that will take the signal from my sensor and trigger a warning light with it? It would be nice to be able to start the engine and see the light go out immediately along with a positive pressure indication on the EDM. And, in the unlikely event that I lost the EDM, at least I'd still have a separate way to know if I also suffered an oil pressure failure.
Lee...

Preferred practice is to avoid having a sensor or switch attached directly to the engine. Mounting the sensor/switch remotely via a hose will prevent the possibility of engine vibration cracking the sensor fitting.

Thanks GrayHawk... I found what I was looking for. Searching using the wrong terminology. Ordered Van's oil pressure switch.
Lee...

Vans' switch is fine but you can purchase a switch at any auto parts store. I've using a generic oil pressure switch teed into the pressure sensor line for several years now. I also have a Radio Snack audio transducer in the warning light circuit that reminds me to turn off the master switch.