Status
Not open for further replies.

A300Driver

I've noticed my EGT recently started reading low - as in maxing out @ 900 degrees. I took the probe out of the exhaust and sanded it down - it look fouled but I still get the same low readings.....

I don't know the age of the probe/harness - the engine has just over 500 hrs - not sure if the previous owner bought it new but I'm guessing it's @ 9 years old. Time to simply replace the entire probe + harness?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob Richie
RV-4
O-320-E2A

Thermocouples usually don't drift. They typically work or they don't. Might the cylinder be actually running cooler than the others? Any change in real or perceived power? The gauge is a possible issue....meter movements can get sticky and unreliable over the years. Poor (corroded or dirty) connections at the gauge can attenuate the very low level signal thermocouples put out.

You could also use a carefully applied torch flame to the probe just to make sure it and/or the gauge will go beyond 900 degrees.

If the cylinder isn't firing the fuel/air mixture properly, it will run cold. Check your plugs/mag timing yet?

Just a few thoughts from an instrumentation/controls guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.