Adam

Well Known Member
I'm not sure if this is a problem but I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue. With OAT in the 65 to 70 degree range I see an average of 280 degree on my CHT's. I'm running a XP-IO-360 with a Van's standard cowl. Anything wrong with this picture!

I'm not sure if this is a problem but I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue. With OAT in the 65 to 70 degree range I see an average of 280 degree on my CHT's. I'm running a XP-IO-360 with a Van's standard cowl. Anything wrong with this picture!

Thats about 80 lower than Id expect. If your FF is good and MP is good, Id check the timing.

You might want to calibrate the probs by using boiling water as your calibration standard of 212F. After you check timing.;)

Timing

I too run cool CHT's like that. I've been digging around and noticed that the data plate on my IO360A1B says timing to 20 degrees, but the Lycoming engine manual says that as an option I can use 25 degrees which should give me a higher CHT and a little more power.
Judging from Kahuna's problem of high temps with one mag at 40 degrees, sounds reasonalble.

May be normal

Check the timing just to make sure it's right if you are not sure but 24 in MAP at 2450 RPM is much lower than I see at that altitude which indicates that you are possibly not running with wide open throttle and leaned for best power. If this is true then the CHTs may be reflecting that in a normal manner. With WOT at 6,000 ft density altitude I typically see 24.5 " and that goes higher at lower altitudes. In the BCAF air race last weekend I flew from 2,200 to 2,500 ft MSL depending on the surface elevation in each leg and I was seeing MAPs in the 28" - 29" range. My CHTs were generally around 330.

Bob Axsom

I'm suspecting that's full rich so I'm leaning (no pun) the CHTs are normal. 24sq is only about 75% power at full rich low altitude the CHTs will be lower. You have a liquid cooled engine. You are cooling with gas. :D