Camillo

Well Known Member
... as NMEA, aviation format, Icarus, etc...
Is there a guide explaining the meaning of that stuff?
I have a SkyView, a Garmin 430W and ARINC module from Dynon.
It is not clear to me how the work together.
I understand that NAV data goes from 430, serial port, via ARINC to SV. Full stop.
My 430 alerts me: "no data on serial 1" (arinc in on serial 2). Is 430 supposed to receive data, also?
Thanks.
Camillo

Q1. These are different serial line "formats". All that goes down the wire are pulses of electricity. To way over-simplify, in one format 2 pulses might mean "altitude" but in another format might mean "airspeed". I don't have a specific reference which changes the digital binary signals for each format into what it really means. But it's important that the sender and the receiver are both using the same format. They also need to be both on the same speed setting, how many pulses per second to send.

Q2. Yes the 430 needs inputs as well as outputs. There are both ARINC ports, which come in pairs (yes, ARINC is another format), and serial ports, which use the common ground as the return line. The VOR, localizer, GS and GPS tracking signals from the 430 to the Dynon all go via ARINC from the 430 to the Dynon. You need the ARINC in to the 430, out from the Dynon, to set OBS settings for the VOR and GPS. The 430 sends the general GPS info (lat/long, etc.) using a serial out port, to the Dynon. The 430 also expects to get altitude, heading, etc. stuff from the Dynon, to use on its E6B page to calculate winds aloft, etc. This info is sent via a serial (RS232) line into the 430, out from the Dynon. Also, your transponder will get a serial line out from the Dynon to the transponder, for altitude encoding.