RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
OK, it *used* to work, but this week, while practicing instrument approaches, it seems I've lost my glideslope.

Here's what I have:

Bob Archer antenna in right wingtip
diplexer to send VOR/LOC and GS to 430W
output from 430W to Dynon ARINC-429 box, thence to Skyview

VORs and LOCs are fine
LPV and LNAV/VNAV GPS approaches show glideslope indications on SV
ILSs I get LOC only, not GS

Thoughts:
bad diplexer
bad coax from diplexer to Garmin
bad 430 GS portion
loose/bad connection between diplexer and 430
bad coax between the two

I'll crawl under the panel tomorrow and check connections, but if they're still tight, and this was working until very recently, any suggestions on what/how to check to isolate the issue before replacing parts or spending money for an avionics tech to check the 430?

(BTW, the initial test from the 430 on startup does show half-up/half-left deflection on the HSI on the SV).

Everything has worked fine for 160+ hours, so it's puzzling why it would suddenly stop...

Thanks in advance...

Steve

This is going to sound really stupid but since I just made the same mistake and thought I had lost my GS thought I might mention it. Did you check to make sure the GS was working for the approach you were flying? I am finding more and more GS's out of service at smaller airports. I think with GPS approaches they are simply not bothering to fix them.

George

This is going to sound really stupid but since I just made the same mistake and thought I had lost my GS thought I might mention it. Did you check to make sure the GS was working for the approach you were flying? I am finding more and more GS's out of service at smaller airports. I think with GPS approaches they are simply not bothering to fix them.

George

I can state with certainty that this is not the case. If a glideslope goes out of service it may take a bit longer to get it back in service due to budget (read parts support) constraints, but it will be returned to service as soon as possible.

That being said, indeed, the glideslope may indeed have been out of service and NOTAMed.

Two different airports, including ABQ, and no NOTAMs on GS OTS (as well as other aircraft shooting the ILSs at both)...so I'm pretty sure the GS was operating at both. But...we did think of that...just discounted it given the situation.

Good thinking, though...

If you can see the frequency or the horizontal CDI on SkyView, then you know the ARINC is good. No way to have that work and the GS data be bad.

Technically, the boot up test checks only the GPS side. There is no self check for the NAV.