lockeed

Well Known Member
Came back from my last flight not too long ago with only one loose screw holding the front section of the cowling, on the inside part of the fw openings where there's usualy 2-3 screws on each side.

Any of you had a similar problem?

I'm thinking of using green lock tight to temporarely lock them into place...

Let me know what you guys think.

5_Juin_2011_024.jpg

I use #8 nylon washers under the heads of the screws on all the cowl screws and have never had one come loose so far.

It might be time to replace the nutplates if they are letting the screws back out on their own. It should take longer to remove the cowling than it will to drill out and replace the plates - simple fix.

Paul

Squeeze

You can set up a pair of small vice grips to resqueeze the pinch lock feature of many nut plates. Blow out the treads of a spare nut plate type you want to repair with a tap then figure how force much it takes to make it drag on a screw again. Once the pliers are set, its easy to do a whole line of installed worn nutplates.

Jim's post hit a nerve:

Mooney (and probably other) standards call for nylon washers under the screw heads on the spinner screws. Sounds like a good idea on the cowl too. Nutplates SHOULD do the trick. The cost of a belt and suspenders strategy in these cases are very low. Adding nylon washers to my cowl tomorrow...;)

Just say'n

many of folks have forgotten to tighten these screws down after re-installing the cowl after maintenance... just a thought. :)

Finnaly got a chance to go back to the hangar, take off the cowling and look at it...

It's just a stupid mistake I made... somehow, a smaller set of screws got on there... Altought the smaller screws where holding, they where not the correct ones...

I just replaced with the proper size and it's snug as a bug now. :p

I always wondered why guys build thier planes with different size nutplates and screws. I have replaced almost all of the #6 I had on the plane with #8's and guess what? The weight difference is insignificant and the ease of maintenance is 10 fold. Just my 2 cents worth.