beberle

I'm the proud new owner of a RV-6A. One idiosyncrasy I'm trying to resolve; the passenger's joystick is removable, but it seems to have too much 'play' in it. Is there an accepted way to shim the upper stick to fit better in the lower receiver?

Thanks,
Brian

The part of the stick that goes into the socket should be devoid of the powder coating. Perhaps the prior owner did more work on it, or inside the socket and sanded more than the paint. If so, you might be able to make the fit better with a coat of paint. Not sure about durability over time and you may find a little paint to be too much. That is a pretty tight tolerance fit.

options?

at risk of sounding like a butcher....if one of the pieces is made to be a bit out of round, it will 'wedge' in with the added friction. Dimpling would be another method, but hard to do on a finished stick & socket.
as others have said, a tapered pin or tight-fitting bolt might also take care of the slack.
had a machinist throw a knurling tool on a loose-fitting clevis, and that brought it up a thou or so to make a nice snug fit in the main tube...prior to rivetting. ( not sure that's a solution with steel of course!) :)

Thanks for the info gentlemen. The pass joystick is currently secured w/ a clevis pin. I may try the recommended AN bolt first. I plan on having it installed most of the time anyways.
My kids are having a blast w/ the RV. I don't want them to think that a RV should have any 'slop' in the controls ;)

Brian

I bolted ours when we built it

I bolted ours when we built it and never considered taking it out. If I should want to one bolt removal is not a hard job. I think you are going the right way with it.

Bob Axsom