whifof100ll

Well Known Member
I have a leaking induction tube on my Lycoming o320 at the point where the tube joins the sump. Does anyone know where I can borrow or rent a tool to re-swage this while on the airplane?

Regards,
Dale Lambert
RV-6 Finishing Kit

Tubes

I had my sump checked and swaged at Divco. They also performed a leak check after the fact. This was done when I sent my case halves and accessory case in for service. I also sent the sump due to the fact I've heard so much about leaks at intake tubes. It's not a huge job to remove the just the sump for inspection and repair. Maybe you can consider this option for total peace of mind.

BTW... three of mine were not loose but still failed the leak test.

Last edited:
LifeofReiley said:
BTW... three of mine were not loose but still failed the leak test.

Actually I misstated my situation a bit. None of my tubes are loose, but while conducting an induction leak test, I found I have a small leak in one tube.

I may do what you say, but I'm hoping to take the plane on vacation very soon and do not want to take the downtime now, but I won't fly anything with a known induction leak.

Dale

Divco

If you can get the sump off and send it out I bet they can get it back in a week. Should be about six hours work on your end.

Work Around?

I had one on #4. It was so bad it leaked fuel stains. Superior replaced the whole sump and sent it out immediately. It's not a tiny job replacing the sump. I wonder if there is any kind of goo that would fix this? There's always a next time.

Dale, You should be able to rent the tool from any Lycoming Distributor.
It is available from us for rental. You will need to know the ID of the tube where it goes into the sump to make sure you get the right tool. There are two different size tubes available on the 320?s.
1-800-624-6680 ext.313 for the Part's Dept.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Hi temp silicone

Guys,
In the old Pawnees we used to get some hi-temp silicone and stick it liberally around the pipe until a slow day when we could fix it correctly. You have a trip coming up so consider it if its only very slight leak.

Pierre

Another Temp Repair

I would use Fuel tank sealant instead of RTV if you have some, I've seen this used as a "permanent" repair :confused:

Sealer

I've seen the same thing Walt and it does work very well. I'm even thinking of beading my tubes to the sump on the outside just for an extra sealing effect. :eek:

sealer

I think that's a good idea, if I was building or had to take the sump off for some reason I think I would do the same.