Marc DeGirolamo

Well Known Member
One of my fuel caps which are now several years old would not stay closed the other day.......I tried to adjust it and broke the pin. :( I installed a new pin, new o-ring and shaft seal but did not solve the problem......Upon closer investigation the corners of the tab which is pushed down were worn a little, enough that it did not want to go 'over center' and snap closed. Are there parts available for these caps or do we have to buy a complete unit ?? Incidently I fixed it temporarily by filing down to give a square corner again but this will wear out in time.......wondering if anyone has experienced this with these caps....thanks

I've had the same problem so I called Van's and they gave me the number of the manufacturer who sent me replacement tabs. Try that first, and it that doesn't work out, let me know and I'll see if I have an extra one for you :D Rosie

Fuel cap problems

Fix them with parts from Van's and sell them on this sites classifed, RV pilots want them like hot cakes, that is why I sold 3 of my OEM Van's caps within two days on this site and got $20 apiece or better for them. Spend the money, call Van's and order their NEW style gas caps that are locking ,,, meaning they have a key to open and lock them. They seal much better, are fully machined and are a very nice looking cap,,, and you will not get water in your tanks. Another plus is no one can tamper with your fuel because they are locked. I've had the new ones installed for over a year on my 6 and love them. No more scratched paint or broken hinge pins or adjusting the O-ring tension. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I have repaired these by the filing method to get the square corner. This repair is a "band-aid" at best. You need to get the replacement parts or replace the caps.

New fuel caps

"Spend the money, call Van's and order their NEW style gas caps that are locking ,,, "

I was under the impression that the 'new' caps do not fit the old style tank (different sizes).....??

Fuel Caps

Rosie said:
I've had the same problem so I called Van's and they gave me the number of the manufacturer who sent me replacement tabs.

Thanks Rosie......This seems to be the only problem with the caps.....As Mel said filing is only a "bandaid" solution....I will try your suggestion.

New style Van's locking caps

Marc DeGirolamo said:
I was under the impression that the 'new' caps do not fit the old style tank (different sizes).....??
Yes they will work. The new caps are a kit. What you will receive is two caps with two adapter rings that are glued into your old fuel cap holes. The piece is glued in place with the same sealant that your tanks are sealed with. Make sure when or if you order them through Van's that you ask for the sealant to glue the adapters into you original cap opening in the wing tanks.... Call Van's tech and they can explain this better then I can. I promise you that it works and it is a much nicer settup than what you have now.

Fuel Caps..

Thanks to all who replied......I will try to get some replacement tabs first and then look into those new style lockable caps perhaps change at next year's annual inspection.....

loose fuel cap

I have the standard (ugly) fuel caps from Vans. Today in flight I noticed my cap was lifting at the front due to the low air pressure over the wing. On inspection on the ground I realised that the cap is sitting a bit loose in the hole. I tried tightening that nut ont he bottom of the fuel cap, but it's bottomed-out and the cap still won't sit tight enough. Options

1) line the inner flange of the filler hole with aluminum tape to decrease the radius slightly so teh cap will sit tighter.

2) replace the caps. The caps I have are unfinished, dull metal. Are there better, high quality ones I can get that will seal more snugly and look better?

I have the standard (ugly) fuel caps from Vans. Today in flight I noticed my cap was lifting at the front due to the low air pressure over the wing. On inspection on the ground I realised that the cap is sitting a bit loose in the hole. I tried tightening that nut ont he bottom of the fuel cap, but it's bottomed-out and the cap still won't sit tight enough. Options

1) line the inner flange of the filler hole with aluminum tape to decrease the radius slightly so teh cap will sit tighter.

2) replace the caps. The caps I have are unfinished, dull metal. Are there better, high quality ones I can get that will seal more snugly and look better?

Actually - I think the Van's cap is great if it it is adjusted properly. The nut you are turning doesn't increase the friction of the cap. It is just a jam nut.

To adjust the cap:

• remove that nut
  • now you can easily turn the bottom part of the cap on the threaded shaft, if you tighten it a little it will be tighter
  • reinstall jam nut (not much force needed)
  • (If you are doing this you might as well fully disassemble the cap, there is an o-ring _inside_ the cap that you should probably clean and put fuel-lube on

Lube the cap

Lube the cap both inner and outter o-rings. That always fixes mine and my o-rings are OLD.

Actually - I think the Van's cap is great if it it is adjusted properly. The nut you are turning doesn't increase the friction of the cap. It is just a jam nut.

To adjust the cap:

• remove that nut
  • now you can easily turn the bottom part of the cap on the threaded shaft, if you tighten it a little it will be tighter
  • reinstall jam nut (not much force needed)
  • (If you are doing this you might as well fully disassemble the cap, there is an o-ring _inside_ the cap that you should probably clean and put fuel-lube on

Like Kevin already posted...use the instructions that were enclosed in the box with the cap, and adjust them to fit properly.

You don't have to fully remove the jamb nut to make the adjustment. Just liek any other jamb nut, loosen it slightly, then retighten after making the adjustment.

Andair?

Hey Phil,

I've been considering the locking fuel caps from Andair. I saw them at SnF, all nicely engraved with 100LL, 21 gal, etc.

I've read on VAF that some people had trouble with those leaking also. Andair claims that problem is fixed, but I can't say for sure. I've been waiting for someone else around here to buy them first...! :)

Matt P.

RV-7A (C-GIME)
Ottawa, Canada

Deluxe locking fuel caps from Van's

did not leak at all during pressure test. They do require some sanding to match the flatter skin profile. 10mm nut for adjusting tightness.

Phil,

whatever you do, don't do that unless you want tape floating around in your fuel tank!