kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I thought I did a reasonable job on engine cooling, baffles etc but now I want to check...

With my O360-A1A - should I be able to do one loop after another without pausing to let CHTs go down? My peak CHT hits 420 after about three loops, and that's when my EIS warns and I back off.

Should I go back and work on my baffles more? The last time I had the cowl off I didn't notice any obvious leaks...

Oil temps stay fine.

It's all about power vs airspeed. Since loops are mostly at airspeeds less than that which you would fly at for the same power settings, you can expect less cooling. I've found that with any vertical to speak of, I'll see temps creep up. Never tried three loops in a row.

You might consider drilling your carb jet.

Kevin,
If you have the 10-3878 carb, it may be a little lean.
This has been discussed before.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=30115&highlight=drilling+jet

There are some other threads about it also.

I haven't even flown yet and drilled mine to .125:)

Just a thought.

Mark

Hi ya'll,

I thought I did a reasonable job on engine cooling, baffles etc but now I want to check...

With my O360-A1A - should I be able to do one loop after another without pausing to let CHTs go down? My peak CHT hits 420 after about three loops, and that's when my EIS warns and I back off.

Should I go back and work on my baffles more? The last time I had the cowl off I didn't notice any obvious leaks...

Oil temps stay fine.

Data Point

Hey Kevin, here is a sample of "1" for you....I usually go up for acro, set 75% power at 4,000', lean until the EGT's knee over, and then just fly - haven't gotten any alarms for CHT (limits set at 420), and hadn't bothered to look. I routinely do cloverleafs, essentially 4 loops in a row. The only time I start getting temperature problems are when I do slow flight - then I get oil temp alarms first.

TMX-O-360-A1A, Carbed, stock baffles

Paul