dschuh

I'm New Here
Hi im in the market for a RV4. I am a new pilot and have only flown 150's and 172's. What would be the best set up for a newer pilot? All I really want it for is to just fly around the area and have fun.

I have seen a couple of 4's for 35000 and I am wondering if those are no good to buy. Any help about choosing a 4 would be great.

thanks

Hi dschuh! (Strange name that.)

You are looking at a great plane but be aware you are heading towards a slight problem....not insurmountable. Assuming you are a low time pilot it would make sense to pay a little more rather than less time getting checked out, and ideally in a -4. Many (most -4?) do not have a complete set of controls in the back for a check pilot so think about this issue and how you plan to get safely around it.

Hopefully someone can come forward with a positive plan to help you.

As to how to find a good -4 you might want to contact Smokey Ray. he has offered to help people find aircraft in the past I think.

Good luck.

Ok thanks for the reply. So do you really think it is a good idea to get a RV4 for a first airplane? I am 20 years old and want a sporty looking airplane and the 4 fits it.
thanks, dillon schuh

Welcome....

...to the forums, Dillon. It would be easier to find a flight school with a Citabria to do a tailwheel checkout in. If you can handle the Citabria, you shouldn't have any trouble with the -4. Your insurance company is probably gonna require 5-10 hours of tailwheel RV time as well. BTW, the -4 is a great ride and a fast cross-country performer too. While you're doing the tailwheel training, have the CFI teach you some basic acro as well, since the -4 is built to do pretty good acro.

Regards,

ok thanks. does anyone have a rv4 in the sacramento area? I would love to have a ride in one. Will pay. Just want to get in one and see whats its like to make sure this is the right aircraft for me.

And how much will the insurance be. just a guess

ok thanks. does anyone have a rv4 in the sacramento area? I would love to have a ride in one. Will pay. Just want to get in one and see whats its like to make sure this is the right aircraft for me.

And how much will the insurance be. just a guess

You are....dddooooooommmmmmed!!! If you ride in a -4, you will be ruined for life. You could not live without one!

Like Pierre said, if you can handle a Citabria, an RV-4 is a piece of cake.

I live in the elk grove area. Im hoping the RV4 will be more fun than a 152:) If you could take me up that would be great.

Last edited:
Demo ride

I live in the elk grove area. Im hoping the RV4 will be more fun than a 152:) If you could take me up that would be great. How much!!!!?

Careful there! Ya can't charge for a ride in an experimental. Negotiations must be in terms of lunch and avgas. ;)

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Last edited:
I went to Alex D (listed as a trainer on Van's site) with ~200tt, 3 tailwheel in a citabria. The rest of the 197 hrs were all cessna. So trained in a -6 and had no problem switching to the -4 (I owned the -4 for 6 weeks without being able to fly it while awaiting my tailwheel and RV check out with Alex. THAT was painful, the wait, not the checkout).

Avemco required 10 hours in a RV

If you can find a Citabria local and can afford to fly it for fun I'd say go for it as all experience is good for something. But unless you aquire 25 hours tailwheel it seemed the 10 hours with Alex was a minimum. I.E. unless you get 25 hours or more prior to RV transition training it won't decrease the amount ov RV training as far as Avemco goes. Other Ins Cos wouldn't even quote me without more experience. But call them and see what they say.

Practically speaking, the -4 is a great 1st airplane to own as the performance is astounding (160 with wood fp prop) and costs are certainly not worse than a certified spam can.

35k sounds really low but it happens

Thanks for this thread

Dschuh,

I too am planning to own an RV-4. Glad you are asking this stuff as I will be following in your trail. I have been watching for about a year.

Seen prices from 38k to 68K.

Some considerations while shopping might be:

Think there was a wing spar upgrade some time ago.
There are "short" main gear and "long" main gear versions.
I suspect if the plane has been flying the workmanship is OK.

I believe that the RV-4 is one of the best flying Vans models.
What i have shared is from reading this website. I have never seen or touched an RV myself but hope to change that this year.

Good Luck, Dan

RV-4 ride in norcal

I just bought an RV-4 and live in Monterey. If you really want to ride in one, mine is available. I will second what the others have said though - once you ride in a -4, you're done! That is by far the most awesome machine I've ever flown, even better than a T-34C with the 550hp turbine! The only thing that comes close is the F-16 or F-15 (and I still say the -4 is more fun)

Stay away from a wood prop unless you plan to keep it hangared. Also, the variable pitch prop will give you much better performance than the fixed. I have the variable hartzell and have to drop the nose on climbout so that I can see where I'm going. At 23 squared, she'll run 150mph all day long at 5000' just sipping fuel. Aerobatics are crisp and clean with no weird tendancies at all.

I do know where you can buy a -4 with the variable pitch prop for probably around $45-48K if you're interested.

I have this friend

Who has one of the nicest 4's I have ever seen. He is also a really good aerobatic pilot.

I must say his airplane (with C/s prop and full invert) is just magnificent...If my mission profile was a little different I'd sell the 7 and buy a 4 in a heartbeat!

"A little more fun than a C152"...Dude, you have no idea what your asking...Even the most basic dogeared RV of any flavour is 4 times the airplane of any put-put Cessna!

The 4 is a wonderful machine!

Frank

Dillon, as others have said, welcome to VAF.

There is a 4 at Placerville, and another here at Cameron park. I do not know if there are any 4s at Rancho Murritta, but I know there is a 3 at there------looks like it hasnt flown in years-----may be a good project for someone to adopt-----if it is for sale.

Randy Thorne in Ione is a great resource for you to talk to if you get serious about actually buying a 4. He posts here, SportAvServ is his user name.

I can put you in touch with the guy in Placerville, if you are interested.

Join the local EAA, if you havent already done so.

Last edited:
Dillon, as others have said, welcome to VAF.

I know there is a 3 at there------looks like it hasnt flown in years-----may be a good project for someone to adopt.

Mike,

Do you have any details on this 3? I'm casually looking for an RV-3 project to pick up. If the right one was out there I could see making it happen.

Thanks!

-John
Planning to build an RV....somday:rolleyes:

good stuff guys. I acually train out of cameron park. does any one know how I can get a hold of him and try to get a ride. :D

I havent flown for a couple of weeks now because my instructor broke his foot. This has been a crapy couple of weeks.

Also how big is the bagage area?