Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, I did a real superficial search of Van's and ACS web sites, and either missed it, or didn't put enough time into the search....but hey, there are thousands of folks reading the forums, and one of you can probably give me the answer in a lot less time....

I'm looking for some Z-Channel in different sizes (probably with a 2" web dimension would be ideal) for a panel rebuild project - can anybody point me at a catalog source web page?

Thanks!

Paul

Rebuilding a 6, or an 8 panel??

As far as the "Z" channel, probably just as easy to bend up what you need with a brake---------with all the RV activity going on there in Texas, y'all should be able to find one.

Rebuilding a 6, or an 8 panel??

As far as the "Z" channel, probably just as easy to bend up what you need with a brake---------with all the RV activity going on there in Texas, y'all should be able to find one.

The "Z" channel would be for my -6, but I'm clueless on what a "brake---------" might be.

Search for "Tank Attach" on Vans site.

It is the only Z channel that I know of, but maybe they would sell you longer pieces. I used a number of these to mout verious things.
Strobe power supply, BMA EFIS Lite.

Kent

How about channel's?

Paul,
If you could use a channel with a web of 1-1/2 and legs of 3/4 I can help. Or how about a 2 x 1 angle, you could back to back them for a "Z".
The channel is .125 wall and the angle is .062. Both are 6061-T6.
PM if you would like to try them.

Van's Z channel

Paul,

Search AZ6 but it looks like only one size is available.

Z CHANNEL X 18"
AZ6-063X1.125X625X18 $4.66

Andy

Z-channel on a 6 panel?

Paul,

I've built two -6 panels, and I'm at a loss to recall where Z channel was used. Are you referring to the top flange of the panel? If so, IIRC that was not Z-channel but 1/8X1/8?3/4 angle.

It's been a few years so maybe I forgot.

Paul,

I've built two -6 panels, and I'm at a loss to recall where Z channel was used. Are you referring to the top flange of the panel? If so, IIRC that was not Z-channel but 1/8X1/8?3/4 angle.

It's been a few years so maybe I forgot.

No, your memory is fine Jeff....this is just a little custom work based on a nice looking sub panel we saw on an airplane at LOE....but I forgot to ask where he got the "Z".

Thanks for all the replies folks - plenty of good leads, and yes, I've used a break many times - but my buddy's is sitting under a mountain of stuff - easier to buy some channel if it is available (and we decide to go that way).

Paul

Paul and Louise,
A friend of mine bent one up for my -6A with the web measured to fit the vents that went on the end.

I would think that anything over .040 might be a bit too heavy. I braced it back to the subpanel and FW in about three places as it goes all the way across the bottom of the stock Van's panel.

I can take pics if needed.

Good Luck!

Still thinking....

OK, so I called up Airparts in KC, and they had some extruded stuff with a web of 7/8". I really thought this would be too small, but bought a chunk anyway, cause it was cheap. Well, it's too small. So still looking for something more like 1 1/2" on the web - this will be a switch/cb sub-panel.

For those recommending making it on a brake....OK, I would love to just make it up, but I must have missed that day in shop class - how do you bend a Z-channel in a brake? Picture it - you make the first 90 degree bend, then flip it over...but now you have the first bend pointed "down", so it can't lay flat on the movable part of the brake....I ran into this before, when I was making small brackets for my build, and couldn't solve the puzzle. :confused:

I'd love to know how to make it!

Victory!

Once again, I appreciate all the inputs from folks!

Today, after dropping Louise off at Hobby for her SWA flight back to DC, I thought that I remembered an aircraft sheet-metal fabrication shop over on the West side of the field. Since I was in no hurry, I drove around that side, and sure enough, there was "Flight Vehicle Inc". I knew they had done some sheet metal repairs for a friend of mine on his Cessna, so I walked into the office and asked the nice lady if they might have any Z-Channel.....in short order, I was out in the shop talking to Jack Treadway, the president of the company, told him what I was doing, and asked if he might be able to help out for a reasonable price.

Within 30 seconds, he had sketched a piece of Z with a 2" web and 1" flanges, 40" long, and walked over to one of his young workers..."Hey, stop what you're doing and make up one of these for this gentleman if you would."

Ten minutes later, the piece was in my hands, and I asked Jack what I owed him..."How about ten bucks?" was his reply, and I was on my way. It turns out that they have helped build a number of RV's, and have fabricated many parts for folks. What impressed me the most is that this is clearly not a retail business, yet here I walked in the door to ask for a minuscule part and they dropped what they were doing to make it for me while I waited!:D

A great place to go if you are in the Houston area! Located just northwest of the Tower - you can see it from Telephone road.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,
What about the Z channel used for the tunnel cover on RV-9's? It forms the sides of the tunnel cover, Vans calls it AZ6-063 x 1 1/8 x 5/8 6061 extrud. Not your exact dimensions, but at least it's a Z section.