twintle

I'm New Here
I've just started working on the tail of my rv-4 and have been given the go ahead to look for wings. Being generally financially conservative (ok I am a cheap *******), I am pouring over the classifieds for a kit that someone has abandoned. My question is that there seems to be an "old" or "older" kit and a newer one. Can any one explain to me what the difference is and are there any issues between an "older" wing and the new kits from Vans? Thanks for the info ahead of time.
Tim

Tim,
One thing I would look for is where the kit is located .... I'm on the Gulf Coast
and corrosion is a big factor (even with regards to untouched parts).
My .02

Last edited:
I'm not sure how far back you have to go, but the original RV-4 kits didn't have pre-punch skins and the spar was not pre-drilled. Also, you had to cut all the lightening holes in the ribs, and trim their front flanges according to their station on the wing.

Thank for the info. That's what I was wondering about. Does anyone know about when the transition to the pre-punched kits happened?

Wings

I've just started working on the tail of my rv-4 and have been given the go ahead to look for wings. Being generally financially conservative (ok I am a cheap *******), I am pouring over the classifieds for a kit that someone has abandoned. My question is that there seems to be an "old" or "older" kit and a newer one. Can any one explain to me what the difference is and are there any issues between an "older" wing and the new kits from Vans? Thanks for the info ahead of time.
Tim

tim....I am no authority for sure but have completed a -4 ala 1992 kit. Here are a few things I would watch out for:
- Spars, now I believe come pre-built from Phlogiston. The older kits like mine a builder could order the pre-drilled spar to finish himself, thus putting that extra $1K into a radio. Setting those big (-6) rivets was sort of intimidating at first but was a 'nothing burger' as DR puts it.
- Make sure that whatever wing kit you get that it comes with the center fuselage bulkhead, as it is matched to the spar.
- my kit had the newer style ribs which were laser cut which meant that they were ready to straighten (flute) right out of the box. the older ones needed to have work done on the flanges (trimming etc), and the lightening holes need to be drilled out.
- the brackets for the pushrod bearings are a lot cleaner on the newer kits as they were also cut with a laser which makes for a beautiful edge.
- The plans had many revisions. Some of the tail and wing drawings were redrawn in 1992 with the remainder of the plan set 1882 version......not a big deal but if you are one to build exclusively from a drawing, keep this in mind, I believe that all the revisions could be found on the Vans website.....Van used to get teased (for being cheap) a lot on his drawings, while all the information was on there he tried to save on paper so you have to go hunting for the specific cutout view you would be after....each of the 32 pages are 'full' of views and dimensions....
hope this helps out a bit.....

RV 4 wing kit

I am in the fuselage stage of a 4. I bought finished wings and all the rest of the feathers from a fellow in my state who was in the midst of a divorce. He had done all the work at builder help facilities in Pa. and in Georgia. Excellent work there were no missing parts. I second the last poster comments about Van being cheap with paper. It can like a treasure hunt trying to find some of the detail in the drawings. They're in there but it can be quite frustrating. Make sure if you find a wing kit that the long fuselage longerons are included. They come with the wing kit for ease of shipping. Ditto on the 404 spar bulkhead.

I also recommend getting the study binder for the 4. You can refer to these reduced size drawing when you call Vans tech support guys. I do not hesitate to call. If the drawings are unclear.. call. You paid for the information!

There are no videos on the 4. Orndorff sp? videos have one in which he builds a 6. I have found these to be helpful. If you put WTB for these onVAF you will probably be able to find these at a reasonable price.

Mark Wyss
RV 4 fuselage
Cincinnati

RV 4 wing kit

I am in the fuselage stage of a 4. I bought finished wings and all the rest of the feathers from a fellow in my state who was in the midst of a divorce. He had done all the work at builder help facilities in Pa. and in Georgia. Excellent work there were no missing parts. I second the last poster comments about Van being cheap with paper. It can like a treasure hunt trying to find some of the detail in the drawings. They're in there but it can be quite frustrating. Make sure if you find a wing kit that the long fuselage longerons are included. They come with the wing kit for ease of shipping. Ditto on the 404 spar bulkhead.

I also recommend getting the study binder for the 4. You can refer to these reduced size drawing when you call Vans tech support guys. I do not hesitate to call. If the drawings are unclear.. call. You paid for the information!

There are no videos on the 4. Orndorff sp? videos have one in which he builds a 6. I have found these to be helpful. If you put WTB for these onVAF you will probably be able to find these at a reasonable price.

Mark Wyss
RV 4 fuselage
Cincinnati

Hot Wings

Tim,

I have a partial RV4 kit with 1 80% completed wing and one wing still in box, phlogiston spars and a completed empennage. Contact me via pvt message if you're interested...

Smokey
HR2

I just started looking at my wing kit yesterday, plans are the biggest deal I see. The old plans are very poor, so make sure you have the current plans and drawings. I have the pre-built spars, and definitely thinks thats a big plus.

Smoky, if he wants your wings and not the empennage, PM me, I need a new VS because of some poor workmanship, and would consider relieving you of some of those parts if you are willing to separate.