butch

Well Known Member
I am trying to flight plan a trip from MN to the Bahamas. We are stopping at Kitty Hawk and would like to depart to the south down to FL from there. However, it looks like there is a lot of restricted airspace south of Kitty Hawk. Looks for some assistance. Thanks

Actually there is not that much restricted airspace

I don't have the details on R-5314 but other than that it looks fairly easy to get to FPR (unless you want to depart FL further south). Check the effective hours of the restricted areas and MOAs. Sometimes weekends they are not active and using flight following you can be cleared through them.

Be ready for turbulence on final and liftoff from FFA.

kitty hawk

Have you been to kitty hawk? Is there enough interest to see and do to stop? Just wondering if we should stop or not. There is a finger of islands to the south and Billy Mitchel airport....as that finger comes back toward the main land it comes into Altanta beach and it looks like there is restricted airspace that appears to block you in. Can you get around the south side of the restricted airspace that houses Cherry boint military base?

Have I been to Kitty Hawk?

Read this:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23118

I would stop there.

Then read this:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24383&highlight=bahamas

Getting to FFA should not be a problem. From northish just avoid R-5301/5302. From the west stay on the south side of the water to avoid them.

Leaving from FFA south presents more of a barrier. If you cannot verify that you can get through the restricted areas and MOAs, then just fly west towards Williamston (KMCZ?) to skirt them then when clear head southerly.

Once clear, it looks like a track towards Wilmington (KILM), then Charleston SC then OVER Beaufort 2 MOA (7000' top) to Savannah.

From there east of most of the MOAs but between Quickthrust M&N (fly between 3001' and 10,999' unless Jax Center confirms they are cold. You will be flying towards Fernandina Beach (55J) or similar.

Obviously verify that you don't bust any airport airspaces.

Then just continue south probably towards Sanford FL to avoid restricted airspace around KSC then basically direct to FPR or further south.

Look at the sectionals and it really is not too bad. I strongly suggest using Flight Following and ask about restricted/MOA status since you may be cleared through some IF that helps.

Do verify all my suggestions. You are the pilot.

Last edited:
There are no services at Kitty Hawk and no overnight parking, at least that was how it was a number of years ago when we flew down. It is well worth the stop to visit the birthplace of aviation. There is a great airport a little ,I believe, South called Dare County. good approaches, friendly service and if you use it , mogas.

Comments on FFA (First Flight)

I live about 30 minutes by air from Kitty Hawk. I have flown in there several times. Nice little airport but other than the Wright Brothers monument and small museum there is not much there.

The airport has a single runway oriented roughly NE/SW and has a right hand pattern for one of the two ends. Plenty of parking and a small, usually unmanned building with bathrooms.

The Wright Brothers monument is quite nice and a very easy walk from the airport. Probably need no more than an hour to look at the whole thing.

No real place to get food and fuel is not available at FFA.

There is another airport a few miles away but again not much to see or do there.

I wouldn't sweat the MOAs and restricted spaces that much. I have flown in this area for several years and have never found them to be an issue. The controllers at Norfolk are friendly and professional and will give you plenty of help if you ask.

Other airports in the area to consider: JGG (Williamsburg); PVG (Hampton Roads); SFQ (Suffolk). All have reasonably cheap fuel ($3.99 for AvGas) and food available onsite.

Bruce, is that civil or military Norfolk? Can you provide a frequency to contact?

Or just whether it is civil Norfolk approach (if correct)...then the frequency can be found on Airnav.com

If the poster is going to FPR, Volo Aviation can fill out the island paperwork in advance:

http://airnav.com/airport/KFPR

http://airnav.com/airport/KFPR/VOLO

Read the comments. The Royal Inn is a nice place to stay.

Last edited: