Carbin

I'm New Here
Hello,

I am looking at buying a complete -8 with a friend of mine. In order to get insured we need to have 10 hours dual in make/model with a qualified instructor. Neither of us have a tail wheel endorsement, so we would need that as part of the 10 hours as well. We live in Las Vegas, NV but would be willing to travel to your area for the training. We are both USAF pilots and have experience in tandem, high performance aircraft. But neither of us have any tailwheel time at all.

I know there are the usual instructors out there (Mike Seager et al), but I can't find anyone with a -8.

Would anybody be willing to give us some instruction in their -8?

Most insurance will accept RV-7 time

You are not likely to find an -8 that is really useful for dual instruction.
Most insurance companies will accept dual in the RV-6 or RV-7 as equivalent for meeting the make/model requirement.

You will find that the RV-specific transition instructors pretty much expect you to be tail-wheel current first - they are specializing in transition to the RV, not general tailwheel instruction. But you may find someone to do both.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Byron, good choice with the 8:D

Good also, to have you here at VAF.

I am going to send you a PM, with some contact info.

Good luck.

As Steve said, most insurance companies will accept dual in any side-by-side RV. Call yours and talk with them.

The RV-8 does not have brakes in the rear seat and instructors are just a "little" reluctant to do initial TW instruction from back there.

As for who might give you a checkout, contact either Mike or Alex, http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/trainfly.htm.

Thanks everybody for the input! I'll talk to my insurance company about RV-7 training. Sounds like that might be our best bet.

Byron,
I just got signed off for my -8 by transitioning in a -6. I have found that the transition training was the best money that I have ever spent.
Please let us know how the tailwheel training and then how the RV transition goes. I (we) would be most curious to see how your high performance skills helped/hindered the training process.
You are going to love the -8...a poor man's fighter for sure!

Try Kent Gorton in Atlanta. I've got an RV 8, and he first checked me out in his RV 6. His number is 770 957 6217.