rocketbob

Well Known Member
Well, I think its time to replace the ten-year-old RG-25XC battery. Its served me well, but winter is setting in and it doesn't have the mojo it once had.

Anyone know of a direct replacement that is less expensive, and has the same form-factor? The RG-25XC's are around $200 now.

Not really wanting to mod the battery box for an Odyssey.

PC-680

I just installed one Saturday and it wasn't that big of a deal to make two spacer blocks for the battery tray. The PC 680 is the same height as the 25XC but thinner and slightly narrower. I used two shims so that the battery clamp would be positioned properly on the battery.

Right out of the box the 680 cranked my IO-360 fine. I flew a couple of times Saturday and it cranked the engine as fast or faster than the Concorde battery did.

I bought mine at Batteries Plus locally so paid a few more $'s than buying on line, but if it had not worked I could have taken it back and gotten my money back the same day. I also avoided shipping costs. On line prices run from 110 to 150 when I checked a couple of months ago. Some of those prices did not include shipping though. I think the Batteries Plus price with tax was about $160.

All the batts that people are recommending like the Odyssey and Panasonics ae slightly different dimensions than the RG-25XC.

Yesterday I ordered a Tempest TD35-12 battery from batteryspec.com, for $79.95 + $25 for shipping. Dimensionally this battery is very close to the Concorde...I expect it will drop right in as a replacement. At half the cost, and 33aH, its a much better deal.

I have two Odyssey PC-680's in my Rocket. Great batteries, but just like cubic inches in a motor, the more lead you have in battery capacity the better your chances will be on successfully starting when conditions aren't ideal. Its one of those things I don't mind paying a weight penalty for. But when I bought them they were only $65 apiece, now they're over twice that.