Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
With the installation of a Dynon D-10A and the removal of my vacuum system from my -4, I have been thinking about putting a second radio in one of the available 2" or 3" holes. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If I do install a second radio, will I also have to install an audio panel? I have a panel-mounted intercom and am not sure how to easily integrate a second radio.

Thanks,

Dean

With the installation of a Dynon D-10A and the removal of my vacuum system from my -4, I have been thinking about putting a second radio in one of the available 2" or 3" holes. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If I do install a second radio, will I also have to install an audio panel? I have a panel-mounted intercom and am not sure how to easily integrate a second radio.

Thanks,

Dean

I have a (round 2.25") Microair 760 that I am happy with. I really like the standby channel monitor feature of this unit. I also have a #2 com, a small, behind the panel, audio mixer (AP-60), and an intercom just like your setup.

My 2 comm system is composed of the 2 radios, an AP-60 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/flightdataAP60audiomixer.php that is used to route the audio from both radios to your headset, an intercom, and a toggle switch to determine which radio that I transmit on. The wiring isn't difficult. I assure you, if I can figure it out, anybody is capable of doing it.

Last edited:
I have an XCOM 760 that was my first radio. I put in a 430 and an audio panel, and it became #2. After using it for a while, and hearing comments that I didn't sound as good as I used to, the XCOM is #1 again. Really nice radio. Mine is now six years old and going strong. Has some features most don't have, like second channel monitoring, and weather.

Bob

+1 for microair and it can be controlled by an efis apparently, though I have not tried. I've had mine for a few years.

Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.

I have a (round 2.25") Microair 760 that I am happy with. I really like the standby channel monitor feature of this unit. I also have a #2 com, a small, behind the panel, audio mixer (AP-60), and an intercom just like your setup..

This mixer is interesting. I was not familiar with it. I looked at the Aircraft Spruce website, but could not determine how you select between the two radios...

Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.

This mixer is interesting. I was not familiar with it. I looked at the Aircraft Spruce website, but could not determine how you select between the two radios...

I use the volume knobs on the radios to determine which (or both) radios that I want to hear. I have a toggle switch on my panel that determines which radio that I transmit on.

MGL V6

I have had good service from my MGL V6 (2.25"). A lot of nice features that work well, built in intercom, second channel monitor, set frequencies from my efis, stereo inputs...)

+1 for Trig.

I have one in my M14P powered Pitts, using the internal intercom (though of course you can hook it up to whatever ICS you have) and driving a pair of Bose A20 headsets.

It works flawlessly and the guys who put it in said it was very straightforward to install (much simpler than their experience with the Becker).

With the Trig radio (or any of those discussed in this thread), is the installed hardware limited to the panel mounted controller, or is there a separate box mounted behind the panel?

Some of the 2 1/4" radios are all one box which goes in the panel and some are "remote mount", ie they have a small control head (takes up very little space behind the panel) and come with a wiring loom which runs to the main radio box remotely mounted wherever you like - in mine and many other cases, on an avionics rack behind the seat or in the fuselage with a nice short coax run to the antenna.

The Trig is a remote mount (note: although its form is smaller than a 2 1/4' hole by virtue of being cut off at the top and bottom, it comes with a very nice 2 1/4' panel plate which the controller head will mount into).

The main box is also very compact, as shown in the photo.

Quik-TT21-and-TY91-tray-install-700-x-420.jpg

0001_TY91-and-TC90.jpg

Last edited: