Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
I am looking to buy a compression tester for my annual next month. If anyone has recommendations for a brand/type, I would appreciate the insight.

Thanks,

Dean

I have had good luck with Eastern. They seem to be widely used. ATS has comparable equipment as well.

I believe mine is an ATS, but really the brand is not a factor if the tool is of decent quality.

The value of testing compression is two fold, balance between the cylinders, and yearly trend of the testing. This means you need to use the same tester, and procedure each time you do the test to get the best results.

If anyone has recommendations for a brand/type, I would appreciate the insight. Dean

As with Mike, I have an ATS that has served me well through 3 airplanes. Since you said "brand/type" we are talking about a differential cylinder pressure tester like these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/test_cylinders.html not the usual automotive straight pressure tester.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

ATS

Really like my ATS. I think it is the E2M. I think the Master Orifice valve is mainly for calibration but it is really nice as you can let the pressure off of the cylinder after getting the reading which is a Really nice safety feature.

I also have the T shaped extension tube from ATS. It is also really handy with quick disconnect and will allow you to feel TDC pressure with your finger.

Andy

differential cylinder pressure tester

Guys,

I'm in the midst of my first condition inspection and will be having a local A&P give me a hand, but I'm looking at purchasing a cylinder pressure tester. I have a Lycoming 0-360-A1A and want to be certain to acquire the correct tester. I'm looking at the E2M-1000 through Aircraft Spruce. I see that it's intended for cylinder bores greater than 5 inches and orifices over .06 inches. Is this the correct one or should I be looking at the E2M?
Any guidance will be appreciated.

Jim Diehl
7A N891DD
Lock Haven, Pa

Guys,

I'm in the midst of my first condition inspection and will be having a local A&P give me a hand, but I'm looking at purchasing a cylinder pressure tester. I have a Lycoming 0-360-A1A and want to be certain to acquire the correct tester. I'm looking at the E2M-1000 through Aircraft Spruce. I see that it's intended for cylinder bores greater than 5 inches and orifices over .06 inches. Is this the correct one or should I be looking at the E2M?
Any guidance will be appreciated.

Jim Diehl
7A N891DD
Lock Haven, Pa

Lycoming's recommendations trump the general purpose FAA suggestions.

Lycoming says to use the 0.040 orifice.

Lycoming's recommendations trump the general purpose FAA suggestions. Lycoming says to use the 0.040 orifice.

Gil is correct (as always). You want the E2M, Spruce #12-01015, not the E2M-1000. Or you could buy the ATS version, Spruce #12-02346.

compression tester

Thanks Gil and Dan,

Just the information I needed!

Jim Diehl
7A N891DD
Lock Haven, Pa

Compression tester orifice

I have one for my previous Bonanza with a plug with .080 orifice as demanded by Beech. Lycoming requires an .040 orifice even tho cylinders are 5.125. I just ordered the whole tester from ACS who does not have individual orifices.

So, I have a compression tester in excellent shape with .080 for $50. Used less than ten times.

hal