DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Awhile back I saw a picture of a RV-4 that was all polished (the cowl had a silver paint on it that resembled polished aluminum. I was wondering if anyone a) had a copy they could upload here or b) point me to a URL.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

polishjy3.jpg

25cq5.jpg

Maybe one of these?

VERY close, Steve! There is an air-2-air picture I've seen of that bottom plane (the plane without the red striping). That's the one I'm specifically looking for.

Best,
Doug

Shine on...

DR,
As soon as I get home, I'll send you the photo you request. It was one of the Vans calendar photos a few years back. The top photo is Dave Anders (225 knot!) RV4 before he painted it.

I flew mine unpainted for 5 years and it is somehow still on the Vans website at the top of the RV4 page...See ya!

Smokey

Uh-oh.......

It appears the RV-4 "fever' has hit you again, Doug? :D

I think I recall you saying you'd buy a pre-punched version, the minute it ever became available.....you thinking about drilling A LOT of holes? :D

Take care,

txaviator said:
It appears the RV-4 "fever' has hit you again, Doug? :D

I think I recall you saying you'd buy a pre-punched version, the minute it ever became available.....you thinking about drilling A LOT of holes? :D

Take care,
I am indeed thinking about drilling a lot of holes, Gary <grin>.

Think featherweight day fighter...

Polished RV's will melt canopies

Interesting, I talked to Dave Anders (whose polished RV-4 Steve Zicree pictured above with maroon stripe, is now painted), he went thru several canopies. Apparently when parked in strong sun light, if the plane is not parked properly the sun can reflect off the wing and will MELT THE CANOPY! :mad: The first time was learning experience. The second was at Oshkosh. Him and his plane where being honored, it's still the Cafe Foundation Triaviation record holder. It was parked in a special area, and he asked it not be moved. They moved it. The sun was out and it melted the canopy, again. This is no joke. Ask him. So polished RV guys be warned.

Last edited:
Doug...

That's way cool!

You must be hanging out too much over at Jay Pratt's place. Heck, he has so many personal planes I don't see how he can keep up with it all :D Must have rubbed off on you, huh? :p

BTW, you have a PM in your inbox......

C-ya,