Jamie

Well Known Member
I'm considering one of these audio panels for a panel upgrade. Does anyone have a PIREP they'd like to share? My main concern revolves around the power of the radio which is spec'd at 5 watts.

From PS Engineering's data:

Power Output: 5 Watts Nominal VSWR Tolerance <2:1

Comparing that to my SL-30 in the panel:

Transmit power 8 watts (carrier power)

Can someone explain what these numbers actually mean? Yeah, I get transmit power (which is more than receive obviously), but are these two numbers apples to apples comparisons?

Also, my COMM antenna is mounted on the center of the belly and obviously I'll need to add a second antenna somewhere. All recommendations for location graciously accepted. My current thought is to put a straight whip on top of the fuselage, forward of the vertical stab. The only com issue I ever have is occasionally on the ground so I thought putting it on top would a) be fairly straight-forward and b) would improve ground communications.

I've heard stories about the crumminess of the Bob Archer style wing-tip comm antennas so if anyone has a PIREP on one of those I would appreciate it as well.

The intercom portion sounds fantastic, Jon. How about the radio? Does it ever leave you feeling like it doesn't have quite the range you've seen in some others?

Kurt,
I haven't done much "range" testing on the 100ex yet. That's probably more what Jamie was looking for also. What I have noticed is, is that the sound quality as in receiving is just slightly better with the 430. I will make it a point to do some comparative "range" testing soon, so that this thread might be a little more useful. Most of the time so far has been with formation buddies and local unicom for "radio" checks.

Flight test

I decided that this was much too important to let go for even a day, so I decided to fly!:D So, at 6000 ft msl, hit the nearst ARTCC button on the 796.
The cool thing about the 796, is that it allows you to scroll thru different frequencies for a "center" and it gives you your distance from that antenna.
I selected the furthest one away (45 nm) and contacted them on the 100ex.
I could hear them loud and clear and they could hear me loud and clear.
I then switched to the 430 and re contacted them, they souded the same and said I was five by five and sounded the same to them.

Then at 25 miles distance from home airport and at 2000 agl I contacted someone in the pattern. They said both radios sounded the same, and I could detect no difference in reception quality. At approximately 20 miles distance from the airport I tuned the ASOS on both radios and listened. Both radios had had a slight amount of static in the background with the 100 ex having slightly less!!

I have 2 C122 antennas mounted on the belly of the RV8 just aft of each footwell.
Hope this helps!

Well, I'm sold. Thanks, Jon! You really sacrificed for the good of the masses by going flying today. :p

Kurt,
I haven't done much "range" testing on the 100ex yet. That's probably more what Jamie was looking for also. What I have noticed is, is that the sound quality as in receiving is just slightly better with the 430. I will make it a point to do some comparative "range" testing soon, so that this thread might be a little more useful. Most of the time so far has been with formation buddies and local unicom for "radio" checks.

Jon, Any issues with hearing sidetone in your headset while transmitting on the PAR100EX? I have mine installed with an SL-30 as No. 1 and the PAR100EX as No. 2. When I transmit on the SL-30, I can hear sidetone just fine. When I transmit on the PAR100EX I do not hear the sidetone. Another one on the field has the same problem. Thoughts, comments? Thanks!

Thanks, Jon!

I owe you gas money. That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Mike,
I get sidetone when I transmit on the 100EX.
One more pirep note, when flying in formation, the 100ex sounds garbled to the other aircraft and also sounds garbled in my sidetone. This only happens in close formation, and sounds normal if more than 100 feet(approx) away.

Sidetone

Hi Mike:

Did I speak with you yesterday? If not, it may have been the other owner on your field.

The person I spoke with yesterday I explained that the first 10 radios we sent out, that Microair, for reasons unknown, removed the audio output amplifier! We did not catch this because in the quiet environment of our shop, the sidetone level sounded OK, but in the noisy cockpit, no way was it loud enough.

As a footnote, if you have no sidetone at all, then this is not the problem and it may be related to RFI. We will need to talk about that if this is the case.

I April, 2011, I had contacted all of the dealers about this but apparently I must have missed the one you purchased your unit from.

Assuming this is the problem, we can fix this very quickly, we have the audio board in stock.

The radios that had this board missing was shipped in March, 2011 and since then, all radios have the board. So unfortunately, again assuming this is the problem, you are one of a very very small group of pilots that weren't reached.

If it wasn't you that called yesterday, give me a call at 865-988-9800 and well get this resolved immediately.

Thanks
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Jon, Any issues with hearing sidetone in your headset while transmitting on the PAR100EX? I have mine installed with an SL-30 as No. 1 and the PAR100EX as No. 2. When I transmit on the SL-30, I can hear sidetone just fine. When I transmit on the PAR100EX I do not hear the sidetone. Another one on the field has the same problem. Thoughts, comments? Thanks!

Hi Mike:

Did I speak with you yesterday? If not, it may have been the other owner on your field.

The person I spoke with yesterday I explained that the first 10 radios we sent out, that Microair, for reasons unknown, removed the audio output amplifier! We did not catch this because in the quiet environment of our shop, the sidetone level sounded OK, but in the noisy cockpit, no way was it loud enough.

As a footnote, if you have no sidetone at all, then this is not the problem and it may be related to RFI. We will need to talk about that if this is the case.

I April, 2011, I had contacted all of the dealers about this but apparently I must have missed the one you purchased your unit from.

Assuming this is the problem, we can fix this very quickly, we have the audio board in stock.

The radios that had this board missing was shipped in March, 2011 and since then, all radios have the board. So unfortunately, again assuming this is the problem, you are one of a very very small group of pilots that weren't reached.

If it wasn't you that called yesterday, give me a call at 865-988-9800 and well get this resolved immediately.

Thanks
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Hey Mark,

Yep, one of the two was me. Looks like we just got some of the early batch. I have overnighted the radio unit back to you this morning. Should arrive tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for all your help. It is much appreciated!

Mike

Hi

We sent out a warranty exchange on Thursday and it should have arrived today.

I look forward to a PIREP when you get a chance.

Thanks
Mark

Hi

We sent out a warranty exchange on Thursday and it should have arrived today.

I look forward to a PIREP when you get a chance.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

I reinstalled the remote radio Monday (thanks for the quick return!) and the sidetone is working great! I am still finishing up the project so more PIREPs to come. I have folks dropping by my hangar a lot and am getting amazed and surprised looks and responses - and some drooling, when I explain that the PAR100EX has the comm, intercom and audio panel combined. I think I am the first one on the field to buy one, but I will not be the first to fly it - I'm a few months from first engine start - hopefully sooner. There is another PAR100EX on the field that will be installed and flying in a week or so. I know of at least a third person that will be buying the unit.

Thanks for all the help and a great product! It has helped me keep my panel simple and uncluttered:
d0b4d07267673d5e49c7384eb0e3c96019267_IMG_1357sm.jpg