Don

Well Known Member
My RV9A build is taking longer than I expected. I'm getting closer (working on the panel, and need to finish the canopy...then on to the engine, wiring and fiberglass). I've been flying a Cherokee 140 for 13+ years but since flying a certain Russian's RV9A, the Cherokee has lost some appeal. A friend of mine says an hour of air time is an hour of air time but I know better now. At age 61 I can't help but wonder when I'll encounter a medical issue that disqualifies me for a 3rd class medical.

Sometimes I'm slow to realize my options. It just occurred to me that I can replace the Cherokee with an "interim" RV until I finish my dream plane. Flying would be fun again and the circle of what's one, two, or three away is bigger in an RV than a Cherokee. Heck, with an RV Homecoming, LOE, and the Black Hills fly-in all seem do-able. To my surprise and delight Wife was fine with the plan. Her only requirement was the plane has to have room for both of us and dog (under 20 lbs) and some baggage. That seems doable.

I've been checking ads and talking to my insurance agent. She has me leaning toward the A models as the tail draggers are a fair amount more to insure. But, at the right price, I'm okay with either model. And right now seems to be a buyers market.

What I'd like to know is, what are the thoughts here about how much difference it makes as to which model RV I buy? What I'm looking for would be day/night VFR and I prefer a glass panel, but to say I'm flexible, is a gross understatement. I'd consider just about any RV if the price was right.

So, is there some intrinsic value to buying a 9A since that's what I'll have in a year, more or less (3+ years according to the KGB). There seem to be a fair number of 6A's (and 6s) selling for a price that seems to have a lot more value than what the 9s are selling for. It makes little sense to me because I've flow a couple of 6's and they're great planes. If it matters, I have almost 400 hours TT. Most of it has been spam cans but there's actually a fair mix when I look at the log books.

If I were looking for a side-by-side and an interim plane and an RV and a budget - I'd probably look at the RV-6. There are a number of good examples and they tend to price reasonably well. That said, your options are open and you might as well shop the whole family. You never know. My budget said I'd better shop for an RV-4 but I got lucky and found an affordable RV-8.

Best of luck !

RV6A in NC

Don,
There is a real nice RV6A for sale at 8A7 (Twin Lakes)where I keep my -4. It has an O360 and is pretty well equipped. Send me a PM if you want more info..not far from you if you have intrest.

Look for the best deal you can get on a -6, -7 or -9. In general, the best deals for these three tend to be on the -6s, apparently because they are somehow perceived as being obsolete, but no sense in ruling any out ahead of time. Fair warning - you start flying one and you may lose motivation for completeing your project.

erich

You can't go wrong with a -6.

I know that -6A and I've flown it as my first RV ride!

Don, a -6A is the best value for your dollar out there...I flew mine for 500 hours and 5 years....fast little 200 MPH airplane.

Kept it 'til the wife suggested a -10:)

Go for it,

Look for the best deal you can get on a -6, -7 or -9. In general, the best deals for these three tend to be on the -6s, apparently because they are somehow perceived as being obsolete, but no sense in ruling any out ahead of time. Fair warning - you start flying one and you may lose motivation for completeing your project.

erich

There are just a lot more 6's on the market than other models, because, well, there are a lot more of them! The cheaper ones have dated electronics, paint, usually smaller engines (nothing wrong with that), and fixed pitch (nothing wrong there either). There are some great values out there.
I don't get the perception issue either. RV's are built pretty much the same as most aluminum aircraft have been built for the last 70 years. If a 6 is outdated, well, so is the rest of the fleet.
Even new Super Cubs (Carbon Cubs) have more new technology in their construction than RV's. (but they still cover themselves in dacron, invented some 50 plus years ago?, funny)

Ah - the Cherokee 140

Not the best looking, not the fastest, not an impressive load carrier. But, you always arrive (and with your wallet).

The advice you're getting about the -6 is right - it's a great airplane. If I wanted to buy a RV, that would be the one. While you're thinking about speed, consider that if you encounter some lumpy weather, you're going to want to slow down (maneuvering speed) to Cherokee speeds. That will be true of the -9 as well.

That said, if I was only a year away from finishing, I'd probably not buy another RV. I'd be afraid of getting distracted and spread between two projects that could both suffer. That does not mean that I wouldn't sell the Cherokee if the right opportunity was there (and rent for the year to keep in the game).

Dan

If I were that far along on an RV-9A project I probably would buy the first RV-6A that I ever saw. Just to put that in perspective though at one point I did in fact buy a 1/3 share of the first RV-6A I ever saw. When I bought "my" RV-6, that took a lot longer.

If you are going to have "your" plane available at some time in the future, and you have approval to get an RV-? NOW. I'd say just do it, and don't be that picky. Find a safe, well built plane and have fun. A lot of people can fly and build at the same time. Just look around in these forums and you'll see plenty of examples.

I'd say that 80% of the price difference in the 6 versus 7 is the panels, hours/age and kit price inflation. If you put a 6 and 7 side by side with same panel, hours age etc., the 7 still gets priced higher, but not by that much. So, find a 10-15 year old, 1000 hour, nice but not fancy day/night VFR RV-6A and you should be able to get into for 45K-50K give or take. There is a 2000 150 hp RV-6 on Barnstormers LISTED for 42.5.