bret

Well Known Member
Searched the threads and could not find what I was looking for, I am trying to decide weather to screw them to the pants, or like I saw some one here, bonded and blended the front half to the front half of the pant, and then screwed the back half on, my question is, how did you bring together the fairing aft verticle part together?

20131206_105913_zps65681fe8.jpg

I fit them to the wheel pants with clecos then bonded them to the wheel pants. Then split them so the front stayed with the front and the rear with the rear. The "overlap" area behind the gear leg fairing was bonded with fg also. I also made a little "lip" on the front pant to over lap the rear pant to make the junction a little cleaner. Looking for pictures now.

screws and walk away

same as your picture with screws. takes 30 minutes and you're finished. walk away and do something else and don't think about that slight gap between the fairing and wheel pant. slight gaps have driven some folk to the point of despair. I attempted to heat and contour the fairing on one of mine but it would just pop out somewhere else so just forget about the that gap and have a beer. life's good. one screw thru the aft fairing. ugly but it works.

Last edited:
same as your picture with screws. takes 30 minutes and you're finished. walk away and do something else and don't think about that slight gap between the fairing and wheel pant. slight gaps have driven some folk to the point of despair. I attempted to heat and contour the fairing on one of mine but it would just pop out somewhere else so just forget about the that gap and have a beer. life's good. one screw thru the aft fairing. ugly but it works.

OK, I will have a BEER,
► 2:18► 2:18
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4

But I am still looking for a way to put the aft fairing together with a hidden nut plate, or piano hinge?

Drill 2 little holes about where your cleco clamp is and use a small zip tie. Get matching zips after paint.

Drill 2 little holes about where your cleco clamp is and use a small zip tie. Get matching zips after paint.

Been in the garage all day and guess what? That is exactly what I did! I took a tiny file and fit a grove for the black tie tie, drilled a 40 in two places and that is how I am running with this. The gear parts will be black, so I don't think you will see it from the spec 10 ft non show plane inspection parameters:D

I split the fairings and bonded to each part of the wheel pant. I filled the gaps with milled glass & epoxy. This photo shows laying up the overlap. It wasn't a lot of effort and came out really nice... The fairings were the ones out of South Africa...