PixelWorker

As the title states I'm looking for an IFR instructor that has experience with the G3X Touch panel and GTN certified GPS. I've already got the rating (not current) but would like to get up to speed again with someone that knows these gadgets. My RV7A is located at T31 so someone in the area is preferred. From what I've messed with so far everything seems so much easier with the glass than the steam gauges I learned on.

As the title states I'm looking for an IFR instructor that has experience with the G3X Touch panel and GTN certified GPS. I've already got the rating (not current) but would like to get up to speed again with someone that knows these gadgets. My RV7A is located at T31 so someone in the area is preferred. From what I've messed with so far everything seems so much easier with the glass than the steam gauges I learned on.

Hello PixelWorker,

Hopefully, that is going to be an easy and fun job for someone. :)

I was out regression flight testing our next G3X Touch software yesterday in our RV-7A which has a dual display G3X Touch system with a GMC 305 and a GTN 750.

I departed with a KIXD to KOWI flight plan in the GTN. Next, I pressed the PROC button on the GTN and loaded the RNAV (LPV) RWY 35 approach at KOWI with the ERXOL transition. That took about 10 secs.

At 16 nm from KOWI I touched the APPROACH bar on the GTN flight plan page and selected ACTIVATE APPROACH. The plane was already in altitude hold at 4,000' (procedure entry altitude), so the plane remained GPS coupled and turned Southwest towards the IAF (ERXOL).

Next, I pulled up the approach plate on the PFD split screen and looked up the altitude minimums for this approach (1240' MSL). I touched the HSI on the PFD, and touched the MINIMUMS field to enter this information.

Finally, at 15nm from entering the approach, I pressed one button (APR) on the GMC 305 to arm the engaged autopilot for the approach capture, and I was done until the Minimums, Minimums voice callout on short final.

As much as I wanted to land on that nice 4,500' concrete runway that filled the window at Ottawa yesterday, I flew the missed by pushing one button (TO/GA), and adding power. The autopilot remained coupled and established the climb to the already selected 4,000' holding pattern altitude, did a nice tear drop entry to the holding pattern, and stayed there until I told it to do something else.

We do plan to make some new instructional videos like this and keep working to improve the camera mount in this plane so we can efficiently crank them out.

Thanks,
Steve

Please make the videos

Steve, please do make the videos. Don't worry about the quality; get the videos out there and replace with more polished ones as time permits.

I am 30 hours into working on my IFR rating. My instructor doesn't have glass panel or GTN experience so it has really been the blind leading the blind. If video tutorials had been available, rather than the marketing demonstrations that are on line, We could easily have saved 1/3 of the time we spent trying to figure everything out.

I have seen some of the videos you made for a good friend of mine, who's hanger is across the taxi way from mine, and they are clear, succinct, and super helpful. A library of short videos like those would be great.

Once I get things figured out I'll make a few videos to share. TV/Film production is the type of work I do. I just don't want to look dumb in front of all the high time pilots out there. I did a test with the GoPro shooting in 4K over my shoulder and with the resolution I was able to push in far enough to read everything on the screens.

I'd love to see some more videos from Garmin too. Not only would they help people learn it would be valuable marketing tool once people see how easy things are getting.

I just need an instructor..

Once I get things figured out I'll make a few videos to share. TV/Film production is the type of work I do. I just don't want to look dumb in front of all the high time pilots out there. I did a test with the GoPro shooting in 4K over my shoulder and with the resolution I was able to push in far enough to read everything on the screens.

I'd love to see some more videos from Garmin too. Not only would they help people learn it would be valuable marketing tool once people see how easy things are getting.

I just need an instructor..

Disclaimer: I'm not from your area (NYC) and I haven't flown with the GTN. I'm not sure if you're looking for instruction in the airplane or not but....

I do have my CFII, have lots of real IFR airline experience flying glass (currently a 777) and also used to be a software engineer.

I'd love to play with the GTNs and Garmin's G3X stuff and I'm sure I can figure it out pretty quickly and explain it in a useful IFR way to you. Not sure if we can do stuff remotely like over video chat or something like that but anyways if it sounds I can be of use in any way please feel free to contact me and i'd love to try to help!

(If you happen to fly into the area, I'd be more than happy to meet up as well)