AHaury

My youngest just graduated from college Saturday and before she embarks on a masters this summer, I've promised her a trip in the RV from our home in Arkansas (KFYV) to visit her grandparents in Tucson, AZ, and San Luis Obispo, CA.

I had a horrible experience last year with an FBO in KTUS and as a result I'll probalby be parking at KRYN. I've never been KSBP. So I'm looking for good ideas on FBO's in these areas and/or at these airports, and any "must stop" places along the way.

If you have headwinds between Tuscon and the coast and it looks like you might be close on fuel, Tehachapi is a good stop. We're not too far off the direct route, and with an elevation of 4000ft you have less altitude to regain when you're on your way.;) Fuel is currently $5.45/gal.

If it's a weekend, contact Joshua Approach on 124.55 around Apple Valley and request direct Tehachapi. If the restricted areas are cold they'll give it to you above 7000 ft, and you'll get a nice view of Rogers Dry Lake and Edwards AFB.

Last edited:
RYN etc

RYN and AVQ both have a nice restaurant. Stopping in CA going NW I hit Big Bear, L35. The fuel $ is good, the temps in the summer are cooler than in the valley and of course the restuarant is convenient.

I hate to use this forum to talk trash but let's just say it was one of those big Million dollar FBO's that should have known better. I will also say that their corporate folks finally stepped in and made it right after months of getting the run-around. The local franchise owner however was difficult even after he admitted they caused the damage. They pushed something into my rudder, crimped the edge, punch a hole in it and I never found part of the gust lock they tore up. I just don't want to go through that again.

fbo

I have has great luck with Atlantic, located at the base of the tower at KTUS. Super easy for everything; car, hotel, food... They're nice to little av gas burners too

San Luis Obispo is beautiful, friendly, easy too.

also

Also, agree that big bear is spectacular. Just check winds.

Another option from tucson is stay south, go to san diego and go up the coast if the weather is good. So beautiful and easy vfr corridors san diego and LA

Premier Aviation has always seemed friendly when I have flown in to pick up/drop off folks having maintenance there.

Looking at Airnav they also seem the best on 100LL prices

SBP

I fly into San Luis Obispo quite often. The San Luis Jet Center is top-notch. No ramp fees, no minimums, no hassles. The county charges an overnight tie-down, I think $5 or $10. I'm usually only there for the day. They have a 2-hour courtesy car or you can rent from Enterprise or Hertz. Also, their self-serve across the field is usually the cheapest around, although a quick look this morning shows Santa Ynez (KIZA) about 30 cents cheaper today.

Try Harris Ranch (308)

If you?re headed up the Central Valley, consider 308 - Harris Ranch Airport. Great restaurant? it?s a no kidding resort!- is immediately adjacent to the strip, and you?ll have Interstate 5 if you follow roads.

Mind the MOA - I don?t recall who owns the airspace, but they were easy to work with. Note the freeway overpass, not in the AFD, is at the departure end of runway 32.

Yes, I think it's "that" Harris Ranch, and the beef is that good.

Last edited:
If you?re headed up the Central Valley, consider 308 - Harris Ranch Airport. Great restaurant? it?s a no kidding resort!- is immediately adjacent to the strip, and you?ll have Interstate 5 if you follow roads.

Mind the MOA - I don?t recall who owns the airspace, but they were easy to work with. Note the freeway overpass, not in the AFD, is at the departure end of runway 32.

Yes, I think it's "that" Harris Ranch, and the beef is that good.

It certainly is that Harris Ranch

http://www.harrisranchbeef.com/index_hub.html

I used to watch from my office window daily Harris Ranch trucks delivering to Korea Air and JAL freight terminals at LAX.

Tucson/SLO

In Tucson, it kind of depends on where family lives. Ryan is West of town considerably. Might be better off at AVQ if they live out on the North or West side. If TUS is your only real option, give them another chance. I've had good luck with Millionaire at various locations.

From Tucson you can make it easily to SLO without a stop. Big Bear will be about 1:45-2 hours (L35). They have a nice restaurant and good fuel prices. From there, head West and go up the coast. Confirm airspace. It will be a nice flight.

THANK YOU ALL

Thanks all for the input all. It is very much appreciated. I grew up in Tucson and flew ultralights out at AVQ when it was not much more than dirt, but that's a pretty good poke away from family in Sahuarita. I'll probably try to stick with TUS or RYN.

For RV7Guy, where is SLO?

Sorry

Thanks all for the input all. It is very much appreciated. I grew up in Tucson and flew ultralights out at AVQ when it was not much more than dirt, but that's a pretty good poke away from family in Sahuarita. I'll probably try to stick with TUS or RYN.

For RV7Guy, where is SLO?

Sorry, I used the California slang for San Luis Obispo instead of the identifier of KSBP. Kind of like calling the Pacific Coast Highway, PCH:)

I live in SLO

Hey,
I'm based here in SLO! My hangar is a bit too cramped to offer any space for your visit, but I can second the recommendation to use the San Luis Jet Center. They're good people. Fun fact: Craig Catto's daughter works there (of Catto Props fame).

Give me a shout if you need a local tour guide!

Paul

Hey,
I'm based here in SLO! My hangar is a bit too cramped to offer any space for your visit, but I can second the recommendation to use the San Luis Jet Center. They're good people. Fun fact: Craig Catto's daughter works there (of Catto Props fame).

Give me a shout if you need a local tour guide!

Paul

That's very gracious Paul. I will keep you in mind. Thanks!