recapen

Well Known Member
A number of years ago, I got an emergency / backup flashlight that attaches to the headset. It used two AAA batteries, you twisted the bezel (with included blue filter) to turn it on and off, and it had a mini compass on the backside (as part of the battery cover).

Looking to replace it or get parts....

I loaned out my headset with this attached and the battery cover / compass got lost......

AKG AV100 built in map lights.

The AKG AV100 headset has what you are looking for built in. The integrated map light LEDs are positioned at the end of the ear cups.

av100_seitlich_schwarz.jpg

Here is a video that shows all the features.

Thanks - good idea if I didn't already have a set of BOSE headsets.
I'll keep looking for the add-ons.

Browning makes a 2-AA "Ballistic" light with a swivel head and shirt pocket clip. The light is turned on by rotating the head, much like Mag Lights or similar. I have one of these attached to my Bose X using a very small piece of double-sided Velcro tie originally intended for tying garden plants like tomatoes to their support stakes.

This setup works very well, is removable, easily serviceable, and doesn't cost a whole lot. These lights are also available with a red lens for those who want it. Mine is red and I wish it were white in order to make reading paper documents a little easier (yes, I still use some of those!).

Ah, darn it, now it looks like they no longer make it...
14mm Micro Ballistic Lite™
Only 5½" long • Xenon lamp powered by two AA batteries • Has convenient clip • Durable construction and water resistant • Batteries included • Black only
https://browning.com/products/catalog/family-historic.asp?webflag_=002H&catalog_=H&bg=x

This one might work, though only available with white & green LEDs. It's small enough and can be clipped in place - this is essentially the basic parameters you're looking for.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/flashlights/detail.asp?fid=017H&cid=371&tid=5099

G00gle "clip on LED flashlight" for lots of other options.

I wear a Petzl. Handy for night pre flight and loading baggage in addition to emergency cockpit light.

I use the Lowe's cap plus

LED lights that clip on the bill of a cap ----- Harbor Freight -- they work great!

R.

Alternative

I always try to keep a headlamp in the plane, but admittedly I don't always check it...it tends to get used in the hangar and not returned.

What I ALWAYS have are come Cyalum Chem Lights, the ones I got used to using in the service. They do have shelf lives...but I've never seen one not work.